The UN Development Program implemented in Ukraine provides a wide support to the university in the field of application of new information technologies
The university contains fourteen institutes. They are: the Aerospace Institute, the Institute of the Humanities, the Institute of Electronics and Control Systems, the Institute of Computer Technologies, the Institute of Information-Diagnostic Systems, the Institute of Air and Space Law, the Institute of Management and Economics, Land Use and Information Technologies Institute and the Institute of Municipal Activity etc.
The other six institutes are: the ICAO institute, the Institute of New Technologies, Kyiv Institute of Management and Information Technologies, the Institute of Extramural and Distant Training, the Institute of Post-Graduate Training, and the Institute of Pre-Higher School Training. The latter has the following four subdivisions: two aerospace lyceums (in Kyiv and Lubny), the Professional Lyceum (Kyiv), and the Faculty of Pre-Higher School Training including the Preparatory Department which has branches in Ukraine's regions. There are two faculties that do not belong to any institute. They are: the Foreign Students Faculty and the Faculty of Military Training. There are also three colleges (the College of Slovyansk, the College of Kryvyi Rih, and the Industrial-Economic College) and the Topographic Technicum.
Besides, the university has four research institutes: those of Aviation, Design, Swift-Flowing Processes, and the Research Institute "Aviatest".
Teaching at the university is performed by a highly skilled scientific and pedagogical team including 9 academicians, 12 corresponding members of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 32 academicians of academies of special sciences, 185 doctors of science, professors, about 600 candidates of science and assistant professors. Leading experts of airlines and industrial enterprises are involved in the training process. The teaching staff includes 18 winners of state prizes, 17 merited workers of science and engineering of Ukraine.
The area occupied by the university is about 72 hectares, the total floor space area of the 14 academic buildings being about 140,000 square metres. 45 planes and helicopters, 42 aviation engines, 3 complex flight simulators, 240 on-board systems, modeling stands and about 1600 modern computers are used in the training process. The scientific and technical library has about 2.5 million books. The university has a training aerodrome, unique hangar, radio equipment and aviation ground equipment facilities, aerodynamic and training complexes.
The university campus includes 11 hostels, a 1000-seat canteen, an Internet-cafe, a students' "Bistro", health center with modern diagnostic and treatment equipment, a sanatorium, a billiards club "Aviator", a students' club "Airlines". The university has a recreation facility on the river Desna.
The life of our students is very interesting. Profound knowledge obtained during lectures and practical training gives them an opportunity to participate in scientific conferences and competitions where they show excellent results. Many students receive rector's grants and other prizes as awards for their achievements in studies and active participation in the social life of the university.
The university emphasizes the role of amateur art activities in organizing students' leisure. The Arts and Culture Centre designed for 1500 seats houses different ensembles and studios.
The dance ensemble "Polit" (Flight) is well known both in Ukraine and abroad. The traditional annual "Students' Spring" show has become a real festival of students’ art.
The university sports centre provides excellent opportunities for sports activities. All the teams of our university in various kinds of sports participate actively in city and national competitions and have been many time winners. A yachting, an aircraft modelling, and a hang-gliding clubs are in great favour with the university staff and students.
The motto of the National Aviation University that to considerable extent reflects its life and activities is: VIVERE! V1NCERE! CREARE! - LIVE! WIN! CREATE!
Exercise 4. Answer the following questions.
1. When was the university founded? 2. What kind of specialists has it been training since its foundation? 3. What powerful scientific schools have been founded at the university? Who were their founders? 4. What did the creative work of their teams result in? 5. Who is the present rector? 6. What names has the university had since its foundation? 7. When and why was the university awarded the status of National Higher Educational Institution? 8. How many and what institutes train specialists at present? What faculties do they have? 9. What other educational institutions are incorporated in the university? 10. What research institutes are there in the university? 11. How many students study at the university now? 12. What is the university teaching staff known for? 13. What facilities are used in the training process at the university? 14. What international centres have been opened at the university? 15. What kinds of activities are students engaged in at the university? 16. What is in great favour with the university staff and students? 17. What sport clubs operate at the university?
Exercise 5. State whether the following sentences are true or false. Correct the false ones.
1. Scientific and pedagogical schools established at the university make it possible to train not only engineering specialists, but agronomists, doctors, actors, TV and radio anchormen. 2. The university dates back to April 1933, when the Aviation Faculty separated from Kyiv Higher Military School of Aviation Engineers. 3. The university was awarded the status of National Higher Educational Institution by the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine in September 2002. 4. The scientific and technical library has about 2.5 million books. 5. The university has a recreation facility on the river Dnieper. 6. Originally the university was called Kyiv Institute of Civil Air Fleet. 7. In its activities, the university follows the UNESCO standards and recommendations.
Exercise 6. Complete the sentences.
1. The University dates back ... . 2. They head aircraft companies, ... . 3. The University takes pride in ... . 4. Teaching is carried out by ... .5. The area occupied by the University is .... 6. The scientific and technical library ... .7. The life of our students... .
Exercise 7. Make up sentences putting the words in the correct order.
1. was/ in/ 1933/ the University/ August/ founded
2. companies/ they/ design bureaus/ educational institutions/ and/ aircraft/ organizations/ head/ factories
3. the University/ pride/ its/ graduates/ in/ takes
4. scientific and pedagogical/ teaching/carried out/a highly skilled/ is/ by
5. the University/ the ICAO/ contact/ established/ early '80/ in/ with
6. receive/ in studies/ their outstanding achievements/ many students/ rector's grants/ for/ as awards/ other prizes/ and
Exercise 8. Translate into English.
1. Десятки тисяч спеціалістів, які працюють в Україні і понад сто зарубіжних країн, пройшли підготовку в Національному Авіаційному Університеті. 2. серед них є відомі вчені, керівники промисловості, державні та військові діячі. 3. Багато випускників НАУ продовжують працювати в рідному університеті, примножуючи його славу. 4. До навчального процесу в університеті залучаються провідні фахівці авіакомпаній та промислових підприємств. 5. Професорсько-викладацький склад налічує 18 лауреатів державних премій та 17 заслужених працівників науки і техніки України. 6. Університет надає великого значення ролі художньої самодіяльності в організації студентського довкілля. 7. Традиційна щорічна «Студентська весна» стала справжнім фестивалем студентського мистецтва. 8. Університет надає всім бажаючим (provides all those willing) можливість підготуватися до вступу в Інститут довузівської підготовки.
Exercise 9. Make up as many questions to the following sentences as possible.
1. Now graduates of the National Aviation University head airlines, factories, design bureaus, and educational institutions. 2. The UN Development Program implemented in Ukraine provides wide support to the university in the field of application of new technologies. 3. Leading experts of airlines and industrial enterprises are involved in the training process. 4. The university's sports centre provides excellent opportunities for sports activities. 5. All the teams of our university in various kinds of sports participate actively in city and national competitions.
Exercise 10. Read information about the institute you’ve chosen and advertise it for those willing to enter the institute .