The Past Perfect Continuous Tense. (2 години)
Choose the correct version: the Past Perfect Continuous of Past Continuous.
1. I (was having/had been having) breakfast when the telephone rang.
2. She (was shouting/had been shouting) at her child for a few minutes before she could stop.
3. Jack (was already driving/ had been driving) his car when the accident happened.
4. Nick (was already driving/had already been driving) his car for thirty minutes when he saw a body on the road.
5. We (were talking/had been talking) for some time before the telephone rang.
6. The children (were doing/had been doing) their homework for two hours when their mother called them to dinner.
7. When she entered the room her friends (were making plans/had been making plans) about the future holiday.
8. The servant told him that the stranger (was waiting/had been waiting) for him for about an hour.
9. How long (were you/had you been) dating before you got married?
10. When we arrived all the people (were going/had been going) home.
The Future Perfect Continuous Tense. The Future Perfect Continuous in the Past Tense. (2 години)
Translate next sentences from English into Ukraine.
1. By the time you return, I will have been waiting here for three days.
2. When he finally reaches Vienna, Tom will have been driving for ten hours.
3. By 2020, she will have been living in Moscow for sixty years.
4. He will have been studying English for five years by the time of his final examinations.
5. We said that by the time he picks us up he would have been driving for two hours.
Direct and Indirect Speech. (2 години)
Replace the direct speech indirect.
1. He has just said, “I want to speak to you”.
2. She said, “She is going to Leningrad tomorrow”.
3. He said to them, “She will be here in half an hour”.
4. He said to me, “I’ll come as soon as I can”.
5. The director said to him, “You must charter a steamer of 8,000 tons”.
6. He asked her, “How did you do that?”
7. She asked me, “Why didn’t you come here yesterday?”
8. He asked the manager, “At what price were the two cargoes of wheat sold yesterday?”
9. I asked him, “When will you open the letter of credit?”
10. I asked him, “Have you found a boat suitable for the cargo we sold last week?”
Sequence of Tenses. (2 години)
Select the correct option and supplement the sentences.
1. Greg said that … a new job.
a) he will need;
b) he needed;
c) would he need.
2. Tim complained that he … at four o’clock in the morning.
a) is working;
b) will be working;
c) was working.
3. He said that he … that film.
a) had already seen;
b) has already seen;
c) was seen.
4. Anna explained to me that the hairdresser’s … down the road.
a) is located;
b) was located;
5. Charles said that he … me the following day.
a) would have called;
b) will call;
c) would call.
6. Bill asked me what … for dinner the day before.
a) I have made;
b) I had made;
c) had I made.
7. He said that if I … Kathrin, she … me.
a) ask/will help;
b) have asked/would help;
c) asked/would help.
8. I was worried if … enough space to buy a new TV set to my room.
a) I would;
b) would I have;
c) I will have.
9. Alex wondered if … for the weekend at his place.
a) his sister will stay;
b) his sister was going to stay;
c) his sister is going to stay.
10. I wasn’t sure if my purchases … or not and I didn’t know whom to ask about it.
b) had been delivered;
c) will be delivered.
The Imperative Mood and The Subjunctive Mood. (2 години)
Find the mistakes (incorrect sentences).
1. “I would do it if I had the time.”
2. “I suggest that Robert waits a few minutes.”
3. “It’s important that Sandra leave on time.”
4. “I doubt that Mary would forget your birthday.”
5. “Father insisted that Jeniffer goes to school.”
6. “I wish I was faster.”
7. “If he had worked harder, he would have completed the task on time.”
8. “If I were you, I would accept the offer.”
9. “I wish it were summer now.”
10. “She suggests that Michael moves to the sales department.