A. Choose the right adverb (degree of comparison) to complete the sentences.
1. Alisа smiles even (most brightly / more brightly) than the sun.
2. The new teacher explains the rules (more completely / completely) than our book.
3. Jack arrived (latest / most late) at the airport.
4. Jillian usually climbs (highest /higher) of all the other climbers in her group.
5. Andrew is speaking even (more louder / louder ) than usual.
6. Melody dances (most gracefully / more gracefully) of all the girls.
7. Of all three, Mike runs (fastest / faster).
8. Of all two, Mike runs (fastest / faster).
9. Harry swims (slower / slowest) of all the boys in the swimming team.
10. Yesterday the President spoke (more calmly /calmly) to Congress than usual.
B. Say which of these sentences are right and correct the wrong ones.
1. I hope that next time you’ll speak to your uncle more politely.
2. Peter usually comes to his classes most late of his classmates.
3. Who can solve this problem most quickly?
4. This time he listened to his little sister patienter than usual.
5. Could you speak a little slower, please?
6. When I was a very young child I thought that to sing best meant to sing loudest.
7. I think that now I see the whole problem much more clearly.
8. Who lives more near to the school — you or your friend?
9. Alice goes to the theatre frequentest of us all.
10. Will you raise your hands a bit higher, please? I can't see them.
11. In December it snows oftener than in November.
12. He knows three languages but he speaks English easiest.
13. Last night I slept peacefullier than before.
14, Could you come to school more early and water the plants tomorrow?
15. This new computer works most fast and can solve problems in no time.
Listen and fill the gaps.
Are you good at sport? I’m not, but I love watching and ___________________ sport. My favourite sport is football – the kind with the round ball, not American football. ___________________ at football when I was a kid. This did not stop me playing. I played in the park with my friends ___________________. What is your national sport? Do you like it? I love Japan’s national sport sumo. ___________________ most exciting sports in the world. You have to spend ___________________ ___________________ and the fighters. The greatest thing about sport is that it brings people together from all over the world. Another good thing ___________________ healthy. Sports stars are very lucky. They love their job and ___________________ every day. What are you going to play next?
Answer the questions:
1. Who is telling us about sport (a girl or a boy)? How old is he or she?
2. What kind of football does thespeakerlike?
3. What nationality is the speaker?
4. What is the greatest thing there about sport?
Read the text and answer the questions.
Sport in Our Life
People all over the world are fond of sports and games.
Sport makes people healthy, keeps them fit, more organized and better disciplined.
It unites people of different classes and nationalities. Many people do sports on their personal initiative. They go in for skiing, skating, table tennis, swimming, volley-ball, football, body-building, etc.
All necessary facilities are provided for them: stadiums, sport grounds, swimming pools, skating rinks, skiing stations, football fields.
Sport is paid much attention to in our educational establishments. Gymnastics is a part of children's daily activities in the kindergartens. Physical culture is ч compulsory subject at schools and colleges.
Professional sport is also paid much attention to in our country. In city, where I live, there are different sporting societies, clubs and complexes.
Practically all kinds of sports are popular in our country, but football, gymnastics and tennis enjoy the greatest popularity. As for me, I go in for table tennis (ping-pong). It needs mobility, liveliness and much energy. It keeps a person in a good form. I have been playing tennis for five years, but the more I play, the more I like it. I get a real joy taking part in competitions or simply playing with my friends. Sometimes, I go to tennis courts.
Certainly, there's a great distance between my manner of playing and such favourites as Jim Courier, Stephan Edberg, Pete Sampras, Boris Becker, Per Korda, but I do my training with great pleasure and hope to play as well as our best players do.
1. Why are people all over the world fond of sports and games?
2. What necessary facilities are provided for people?
3. What kinds of sports are popular in our country?
4. What is your favourite kind of sport? Why?
fit — в хорошей форме
onpersonalinitiative — по личной инициативе
topayattentionto — обращать внимание на
kindergarten — детский сад
compulsory — обязательный
toenjoypopularity — пользоваться популярностью
mobility — мобильность
distance — расстояние