Exercise 24. Translate the Russian verbs below into English using the Present /Past/ Future Simple (Passive Voice).
1. Many exams оцениваютсяfrom 1 to 100 points.
2. Courses and seminars предлагалисьby various departments.
3. Students зачисляютсяby colleges.
4. Professors назначаютсяto carry out research.
5. Students будутобучаться by faculty fellows or tutors in small groups.
6. The internship is generally оплачиваетсяand проводитсяin the second and fourth year of study.
Exercise 25. In the text below fill in the gaps using the verbs in their Active or Passive forms.
1. Cambridge (like Oxford) can _____( to picture) as a collection of colleges, each of which ______(to have) its own character and individuality. 2. The Supervision System where students _______ ( to receive) tuition in small groups ______ ( to regard) as one of the best teaching models in the world. 3. Each student ______( to have) a tutor who practically _______( to guide) him through the whole course of studies.
4. The Head of Studies ______ ( to appoint) by the college to look after you academic progress, while the role of the tutor mainly ______ ( to concern) in protecting student’s interests and helping him or her in domestic college matters.
5. The University teaching ______( to consist of) lectures and practical work, but much of time ______ ( to spend) in seminars and tutorials. 6. A significant part of undergraduate education ______ ( to hold) in university buildings.
7. Cambridge University is a leading international center and many postgraduates actively _______( to engage) in research work.
Exercise 26. Describe research opportunities and equipment within your University. Prepare your own sentences. Mind the word order.
|Research activities||cover||advanced materials||in aircraft structures|
|Modern facilities||are offered||for students||to carry out research|
Useful language:postgraduate courses, subject areas, international reputation, cutting-edge technologies,
research activities, modern facilities, to involve, to have access to, to carry out, to offer, to cover
Exercise 27. Are there any major differences between the systems of university education in Russia and Britain? Give examples to support the ideas you put forward. Fill in the boxes.
|Differences Russian universities||Similarities||Differences English universities|
Exercise 28. Make a short report supported by slides on the following topics:
1. The historical background of Cambridge University.
2. The historic review of the University you attend.
3. The famous achievements of your University.
4. The facilities available at your University.
5. The benefits offered by the university education.
6. The differences and similarities in the arrangement of studies (academic year, vacations, assessment, admission, degrees, tutorials, etc.) between Russian and UK universities.
7. A review of Cambridge (or Oxford, Harvard, Massachusetts university etc.)
8. Famous people and scientists (University graduates).
9. The top 100 world universities (Ranking List 2015)
10. Nobel Prize winners and their discoveries.
11. Produce a short movie on BMSTU and act as a speaker
Text 1 С. Student Profiles
Exercise 29. Read student letters and fill in the boxes. Make a review of students letters (in 10-12 sentences)
|Student||course name \ when||Specialist area||prospects||positive|
Useful language: to join, to learn subjects, to provide with, to become
Student Profile 1
The course is tailored to bring together all the previously studied topics and pushed me onwards into new areas such as Computational Fluid Dynamics and Advanced Aerodynamics. I joined the Aeronautical Engineering coursetwo years ago with a view to fulfill my ambition of becoming a professional engineer. Both an undergraduate and Master’s degree (Msc) are required to achieve this benchmark. It took a lot of time to master this subject area. This course provides a student with analytical skills and stimulates interest in space engineering and high-speed travel. The course gives you the chance to advance your career to management levels, testing and design positions within the aeronautical industry. This is a challenging field to work in.