IV. Give English equivalents to the Russian words and word combinations
1. старинный русский город
4. маленький купеческий город
6. левый берег
11. место ссылки
13. считать, полагать
14. город студентов
15. материальная и духовная культура
18. молитвенный дом
V. Make up sentences
1. The city, to number, 1200000, inhabitant, today.
2. So, 1716, in, Omsk, to found.
3. Oil Refinery, Siberian, petrochemistry, to be, a giant, of.
4. They, to be, visiting, worth.
5. To live, we, in, of, the period, changes, great.
6. Library, Pushkin, to be, big, the, of, them.
VI. Answer the following questions
1. What is Omsk?
2. How old is Omsk?
3. What is the population of Omsk?
4. How was it founded?
5. What are the main branches of industry in Omsk?
6. Why do we consider Omsk a sity of students?
7. What theatres do you know in Omsk?
8. What places of interest are there in Omsk?
9. What problems are the inhabitants of Omsk to solve?
VII. Make up a plant of the text
VIII. Give a short story about Omsk
IX. Speak about the history of Omsk using the following words and word combinations
To be situated, merchant town, to turn for, center, a group, soldiers and Cossacks, guidance, Buchgolts, to found, fortress, to be renamed, to be Sounded, Great Trans-Siberian Railway, to pass through, to be like, wooden, unpaved, dusty, crooked, exile, Dostoevsky.
I. Vocabulary list
1. raze – разрушать до основания
2. invasion – вторжение
3. reign – царство
4. moat – ров
5. destroy – разрушать
6. rebuild – заново строить
7. encircle – окружать
8. crown – короновать
9. execution – казнь
10. proclamation – провозглашение
11. edict – указ
12. merchant – купец
13. host – хозяин
14. site – место
15. tomb – могила
1. Kremlin – Кремль
2. Napoleon – Наполеон
3. Red Square – Красная площадь
4. Lobnoye Mesto – Лобное место
5. Leninsky Prospect – Ленинский проспект
6. Leningradsky Prospect – Ленинградский проспект
7. International Sheremetievo Airport – Международный аэропорт Шереметьево
8. Tretyakov Art Gallery – Третьяковская Галерея
9. Pushkin Fine Arts Museum – Музей Изобразительного искусства им. А.С.Пушкина
10. Art Pavel Tretyakov – художник Павел Третьяков
11. Olympic Games – Олимпийские игры
12. Bolshoi Theatre – Большой театр
13. Great Patriotic War – Великая Отечественная война
Moscow, the capital of Russia is one of the biggest industrial, scientific and cultural centers of the world.
The city was founded in 1147 by Yuri Dolgoruky on the bank of the Moscva river. The city was razed in the 13th century during the Tatar invasion. In the 14th century it grew stronger and it was a military as well as an administrative and economic center. By the end of the 16th century during the reign of Boris Godunov, Moscow had 3 walls with towers, and moats surrounding the Kremlin.
With the invasion of Napoleon in 1812 four-fifth of Moscow was destroyed by fire but it was soon rebuilt and trade and industry developed again.
Let’s start the tour of Moscow with Red Square which is right in the center of things. Moscow is built on 7 hills, one of which is encircled by a red wall. The Kremlin stands on this hill.
We can see here the Moscow Kremlin with its beautiful towers crowned with ruby starts. We can come up to the place of execution and proclamation of various edicts, which was called Lobnoe Mesto. If the Kremlin is a symbol of Russia, then Spasskaya Bashnya is a symbol of the Kremlin. It is notable for its clock.
Moscow is a modern city. The population of the city is over 8 million now. The number of streets constantly increases. The largest one is Leningradsky Prospect.
Moscow underground is one of the beautiful in the world, it has about 2 hundred stations and is almost there hundred and forty (340) kms long. There are 9 railway stations in Moscow and 5 airports around the city. International Sheremetievo airport is among them.
Moscow is famous for its museums: the Tretyakov Art Gallery, the Pushkin Fine Arts Museum, etc. There are many exhibitions and concert halls. The Gallery was named after the Moscow Merchant and Great lover of Art Pavel Tretyakov. The Gallery reflects the history of Russia the life and ideals of its people.
In the city there are many stadiums, sports facilities among them the ones, built for the 22nd Olympic Games in 1980, when Moscow was the host of the Games. Lots of theatres of Moscow are well-known. The best-known is, of course, the Bolshoi Theatre. One can enjoy numerous cinemas, restaurants, cafes.
Moscow is the main educational center of the country. There are 76 higher educational establishments in it. At the end of the University Prospect on the Lenin Hills rises the high building, the 32 storey Moscow University. The city is famous for its parks, for its botany garden, where hundreds of trees and plants from all over the world are gathered. The city has numerous modern enterprises, primarily engineering and metal-working plants with a wide range of output. Some 300 of the city’s plants and factories export their products to about 70 foreign countries.
Moscow is a green city. In the Alexandrovsky Garden we can stand by the tomb of the Unknown Warrior. For heroism of the people of our capital during the Great Patriotic War Moscow was awarded the title of Hero City. Moscow faces many problems now. But nevertheless, its future is bright.