I. Read the words and word combinations and translate them into Russian. Gas fields, consumption centers, chemical industry, in the vicinity, gaseous form, high pressure, extend
Gas fields, consumption centers, chemical industry, in the vicinity, gaseous form, high pressure, extend, transportation pressure, technological advances, transportation costs, long-distance transportation, average, pressure losses, regular intervals, compression station, economically advantageous conditions, circulation rates, petroleum prospecting, atmospheric pressure, industrial operations.
II. Make up the word combinations
Ш. Fill in the missing words(prospecting, consumption, pipelines, form, projects)
1. Gas fields are often located far from major … centers.
2. Transportation of natural gas depends upon its … .
3. Large gas …enable gas to be transported over thousands of kilometers.
4. Petroleum … has revealed the presence of large gas fields.
5. Since then other large-scale … have been undertaken.
IV. Agree or disagree with the following statements
1. Chemical industry transformation plants are frequently installed in the vicinity of production fields.
2. Natural gas in a gaseous form it is transported by pipeline under low pressure.
3. Natural gas in a liquid form it is transported by boat.
4. Transportation pressure is generally 100 bars.
5. Pipeline diameters for long-distance are about 60 to 70 centimeters.
V. Put the words in order to make a sentence
1. Gas / are / far / centers / fields / from / major / located / consumption.
2. Transportation / natural / of / depends / gas/ its / form / upon.
3. North / from / pipelines / extend /American / Texas / and / Louisiana / are.
4. Transportation / a / are /at / minimum / pressures / of / this / magnitude / costs / for.
5. This / developed / has / very / quickly / technique.
VI. Find the definitions to the following words
a) consumption; b) magnitude; c) boost; d) project.
VII. In pairs role-play a telephone call with your business partner about new long-distance pipeline
VIII. Make grammar analyses of the sentence
Large gas pipelines enable gas to be transported over thousands of kilometers.
IX. Find the examples of Present Perfect Active tense in the text. When do we use the tense?
X. Give short answers to the questions
1. Are gas fields located far from major consumption centers?
2. Does transportation of natural gas depends upon its form?
3. Do large gas pipelines enable gas to be transported over thousands of kilometers?
4. Is transportation pressure generally 70 bars?
5. Should compression station be located every 80 or 100 kilometers?
XI. Read the questions and fill in the correct word
1. … are gas fields often located?
2. … are chemical industry transformation plants frequently situated?
3. … does transportation of natural gas depend upon?
c) How long
d) How often
4. … do large gas pipelines enable gas to be transported?
a) How long
b) How much
c) How often
d) How old
5. … is transportation pressure?
6. … are pipeline diameters?
7. … has the pressure to be boosted at regular intervals?
8. … is the pipeline doubled in size?
XII. Answer the questions
1. Why is it necessary to transport the gas?
2. What does the transportation of natural gas depends upon?
3. What are the examples of large gas pipelines in North America?
4. What is the natural gas transportation pressure?
5. What are the typical pipeline diameters for long-distance transportation?
6. Why has the pressure to be boosted at regular intervals?
7. What is the pipeline doubled in size for?
8. How is transportation from large gas fields in Africa, the Middle East and Alaska effected by?