Прочитайте диалог. Выучите и разыграйте диалог в паре со своим сокурсником.
A: You look really nervous.
B: Yes, I am. This is the first time that I have flown in a plane.
A.: How exciting for you.
B: Not really. It’s scary.
B: I am scared that the plane will crash.
A: You shouldn’t worry about that.
B: Why? Planes crash all the time.
A: Yes, but you should look at the “bigger picture”.
B: What’s that?
A: Compared to all other types of transport flying is safe.
B: What do you mean?
A: It is much more dangerous to drive a car.
B: Is it?
A: Yes. It is even more dangerous to ride a bicycle than to fly.
B: I didn’t know that.
A: It is even more dangerous to walk across a street.
B: So that’s the “bigger picture”.
A: Yes. The plane will might crash, but life is dangerous.
B: I do feel better now. I”ll fly more often. I won’t drive now though.
A: Good idea. I won’t either.
3.1.35. Прокомментируйте следующие высказывания:
1. Worry gives a small thing a big shadow.
2. Don’t trouble your trouble before trouble troubles you.
3. On earth there is no heaven, but there are pieces of it.
4. The world is not growing worse and it is not growing better – it is just turning around as usual.
5. Laws that do not embody public opinion can never be enforced.
6. If we desire respect for the law we must first make the law respectable.
Расскажите, какие законы в нашей стране помогают снизить количество дорожных происшествий.
3.2.1. Отработайте произношение слов, уточнив транскрипцию по словарю:
|lung n deceive v hypocrisy n timid a conscience n appease v puff v luke-warm a revenue n facility n facilities pl. discreetly adv conceivably adv harmful a short-sighted a eagerly adv drastic a concern v conduct v stagger v insidious a depict v virile a dire a habit n courageously adv||лёгкое обманывать лицемерие робкий совесть умиротворять, успокаивать надувать, выпячивать, попыхивать не особенно ревностный, равнодушный, вялый доход лёгкость, способность удобства, средства обслуживания осмотрительно, благоразумно предположительно вредный близорукий, недальновидный стремительно, нетерпеливо сильнодействующий, решительный касаться, относиться, беспокоиться вести, сопровождать, руководить, управлять шататься, идти шатаясь, колебаться, шатать коварный, незаметно подкрадывающийся рисовать, изображать, описывать мужественный, возмужалый ужасный, страшный привычка, обычай, обыкновение смело, мужественно|
Прочитайте текст и скажите, кто в первую очередь, по мнению автора, должен бороться с курением.
If you smoke and you still don't believe that there's a definite link between smoking and bronchial troubles, heart disease and lung cancer, then you are certainly deceiving yourself. No one will accuse you of hypocrisy. Let us just say that you are suffering from a bad case of wishful thinking. 5 This needn't make you too uncomfortable because you are in good company, Whenever the subject of smoking and health is raised, the goverments of most countries hear no evil, see no evil and smell no evil. Admittedly, a few governments have taken timid measures. In Britain, for instance, cigarette advertising has been banned on television. The conscience of the nation is appeased, while the population continues to puff its way to smoky, cancerous death.
You don't have to look very far to find out why the official reactions to medical findings have been so luke-warm. The answer is simply money. Tobacco is a wonderful commodity to tax. It's almost like a tax on our
daily bread. In tax revenue alone, the government of Britain collects enough from smokers to pay for its entire educational facilities. So while the authorities point out ever so discreetly that smoking may, conceivably, be harmful, it doesn't do to shout too loudly about it.
This is surely the most short-sighted policy you could imagine. While
money is eagerly collected in vast sums with one hand, it is paid out in increasingly vaster sums with the other. Enormous amounts are spent on cancer research and on efforts to cure people suffering from the disease. Countless valuable lives are lost. In the long run, there is no doubt that everybody would be much better-off if smoking were banned altogether.
Of course, we are not ready for such drastic action. But if the govern-ments of the world were honestly concerned about the welfare of their peoples, you'd think they'd conduct aggressive anti-smoking campaigns. Far from it! The tobacco industry is allowed to spend staggering sums on advertising. Its advertising is as insidious as it is dishonest. We are never
shown pictures of real smokers coughing up their lungs early in the morning. That would never do. The advertisements always depict virile, clean-shaven young men. They suggest it is manly to smoke, even positively healthy! Smoking is associated with the great open-air life, with beautiful girls, true love and togetherness. What utter nonsense!
For a start, governments could begin by banning all cigarette and tobacco advertising and should then conduct anti-smoking advertising campaigns of their own. Smoking should be banned in all public places like theatres, cinemas and restaurants. Great efforts should be made to inform young people especially of the dire consequences of taking up the
habit. A horrific warning - say, a picture of a death's head - should be included in every packet of cigarettes that is sold. As individuals we are certainly weak, but if governments acted honestly and courageously, they could protect us from ourselves.
3.2.3. Прочитайте следующие высказывания. Исправьте неверные высказывания в соответствие с содержанием текста.
1. Very few people know about the link between smoking and heart disease.
2. The governments of most countries see evil when the subject of smoking is raised.
3. Most governments have taken stubborn measures concerning smoking.
4. Cigarette advertising was banned on TV in Britain.
5. Governments paid great attention to problems of smoking.
6. Governments collect much money from smokers in the form of tax.
7. Timid measures against smoking are regarded to be a useful policy.
8. Much money is spent on cancer research.
9. It would be much better if smoking is banned altogether.
10. All the countries are ready to ban smoking altogether.
11. Advertising of tobacco industry is insidious and dishonest.
12. It is really manly and healthy to smoke.
3.2.4. Заполните пропуски следующими словами:
|facilities commodity conduct harmful banned manly cancer link suffering timid drastic protect advertise public|
1. There is a definite ….. between smoking and lung cancer.
2. A few governments have taken ….. measures against smoking.
3. Advertising of cigarettes was ….. on British television.
4. Tobacco is a wonderful ….. to tax.
5. Educational ….. are paid by taxes on tobacco.
6. The government point out that smoking is probably ….. but don’t shout about it.
7. Great sums of money are spent on …… research.
8. Much money is paid to cure people ….. from cancer.
9. Countries are not ready for …… actions against smoking.
10. We hope the governments will ….. aggressive anti-smoking campaigns.
11. Tobacco industry will be banned to ….. its products.
12. The advertisements show it is …… to smoke.
13. Smoking should be banned in all …… places.
14. If government acted courageously they could ….. us from ourselves.
3.2.5. Прокомментируйте следующие высказывания:
1. The best way to give up smoking is to carry wet matches.
2. To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did. I ought to know because I’ve done it a thousand times.
3. Man is his own worst enemy.
4. There is no little enemy.
5. Always forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much.
6. It is a sin to believe in evil of others, but it is seldom a mistake.