Questions, Answers, Negatives
Form the general questions.
Example: My brother likes skating. — Does my brother like skating?
1. He translates a lot of letters into English. 2.1 had an early morning call at seven o'clock. 3. Little children like to ask many questions. 4. Their classes will last till four o'clock tomorrow. 5. I've already done this task. 6. She spends a lot of time on her English. 7. My children are at college. 8. They had supper at 7 o'clock. 9.1 am going to play tennis in the evening. 10. They were writing when I came. 11. She can play the guitar very well. 12. There are many people in the library now. 13. Brazil won the football World Cup in 1994. 14. He has already read a lot of English books. 15. They have classes at 9 every day.
Form the alternative questions to the words in bold type.
Example: My brother likes skating (3). —Does your brother like skating or skiing? Does your or his brother like skating? Does your brother or Pete like skating?
1. The film was exciting (2). 2. Thousands of people visited the exhibition (2). 3. He watches TV every day. (3) 4. They can go to the country on Friday. (3) 5. She has painted the walls. (3)
Change the genera! questions into indirect ones. Begin your sentences with Do you know, I wonder or Tell me.
Example: Has he seen this movie before? —
Do you know if/whether he has seen this movie before?
Tell me please if/whether he has seen this movie before,
I wonder if/whether he has seen this movie before.
1. Is it common to give a waiter a tip? 2. Does he want to come round this evening? 3, Did you go out last night? 4. Are single-parent families becoming more common in Russia? 5, Is there anything you are very proud of? 6. Does she live in the flat above you? 7= Do they watch satellite TV or cable TV? 8. Does Internet influence our daily lives? 9. Did you go to a nursery school? 10. Have the police questioned a number of people about the crime? 11. Are trains more reliable than buses? 12. Has he arranged his meeting for tonight? 13. Are there lots of historical monuments in Vienna? 14. Is there a great mix of people in Paris? 15, Did he book a room at the hotel?
Form the negative questions.
Example; She took part in the performance. — Didn't she take part in the performance? Or Did she not take part in the performance?
1,1 went to the cinema with my friends. 2. They usually go to bed very early» 3. They had finished work by 5 o'clock. 4. She will be studying at this time tomorrow. 5, There was an old bridge here. 6. He came home very late. 7. She understands Spanish a little. 8. They have a three-room flat. 9. He has been to the USA lately. 10. They are going to build a new house. 11. Your son loves music. 12. We are going to the theatre today. 13. There will be a lot of people at the lecture today. 14. We studied at college together. 15. His friends liked the film very much.
Form the question tags.
Example: She has already come. — She has already соmе, hasn't she?
1. They will return in a month. 2. Let's buy a loaf of bread. 3. Open the window. 4.1 am late. 5. There is a theatre in the centre of the city. 6. She has never been to the Zoo. 7.1 am right. 8. Don't go there. 9. Peter and Ann know English well. 10. He didn't do his homework. 11. Let's go to the country. 12. There were no mistakes in his dictation. 13. She won't be playing the piano at twelve. 14. They can't speak German at all. 15. She knows him.
Correct the mistakes if any.
1. Don't forget to bring the book, will you? 2. There aren't any apples left, are they? 3. He is sure to come, doesn't he? 4. Let's come a bit earlier to have better seats, don't we? 5. It isn't raining now, is it? 6. You and I talked to him last week, didn't you? 7. He won't be leaving tomorrow, will he? 8. She has never been afraid of anything, hasn't she? 9. They have got two children, do they? 10, The boys don't have classes today, do they? 11.1 am to blame, aren't I? 12. We like to swim in the swimming pool, do we? 13. Nobody has come yet, haven't they? 14. Please turn off the light, don't you? 15. He has never come back, hasn't he?
Put the words into the correct order (you must get special questions).
1. time, his, always,' who, in, is, lessons, for? 2. going, a, what, her, about, he, week, is, to, in, write, to? 3.about, did, speak, last, in, what, week, class, you? 4. this, you, read, how, month, books, have, many? 5. people, the, to, at, prefer, sometimes, do, study, why, library? 6. many, France, he, been, how, to, times, has? 7. kind, brave, we, of, call, people, what, do? 8. draws, which, them, well, of? 9. today, have, the, what, radio, heard, on, news, you? 10. USA, states, in, there, the, many, are, how?
Correct the mistakes if any.
1. How often you have your English classes? 2. What you do at English lessons? 3. What you prepared for your lesson? 4. Who were absent from the previous lesson? 5. How many points you got for your exam? 6. Who do you usually go home with? 7. What countries the USА borders upon? 8. When did the briefing take place? 9. Who knows this district well? 10. Who did phone yesterday? 11. How long you have been studying English?
Form the special questions to the words in bold type (the number of questions is given in brackets).
Example: He went to the theatre(3). — Who went to the theatre? What did he do? Where did he go?
1, My workingday lasts eight hours. (3) 2.They discusseda lotof articles on economics lastweekend. (6) 3.1 have read this bookin the original. (3) 4. They were watching TV when I came.(4) 5,1was absent becauseI was ill.(2) 6.It took me two hoursto get there. (2) 7. Theyare going to travel by car.(3) 8. Ialways speak English to him.(3) 9. She will do the work jn two days' time.(3) 10. Itaught him to swim.(3)
Change the special questions into indirect ones. Begin your sentences with Do you know, I wonder or Tell me please.
Example: What does the boss want? —
Do you know what the boss wants? Tell me please what the boss wants.
1. How long does it take him to get there? 2. When did he meet her for the first time? 3. Who objects to Sunday work? 4. What is his date of birth? 5. Whose book is it? 6. When will the next conference take place? 7. How well does she play the piano? 8. Why are they buying a new house? 9. How long will the interview last? 10. What kind of chocolate tastes best? 11. Where did they spend their vacation? 12. Who does he know from Group 302? 13. How much does it cost to repair a bicycle? 14. How long have you known the Browns? 15. Whose bag is on the table?
Open the brackets and translate into English short replies with So ... cr Neither/Nor ...
Example: He knows English. — (Она тоже). — So does she. She is not going there. — (Они тоже). — Neither/Nor are they.
1.1 am dead with hunger. — (Мы тоже). 2. We are very grateful to him. — (Я тоже). 3. My brother can't draw. — (Мой тоже). 4. We'll be meeting in the hall. —(Они тоже). 5, My father always gives me good advice. ~_ (Мой тоже). 6, She did not go to the country because the weather was awful. — (Он тоже). 7. My sister's son has made much progress in English lately. — (Наш тоже). 8. We'll soon join them. — (Мы тоже). 9.1 am not at all upset. — (Я тоже). 10. They enjoyed themselves at Ann's party. — (Мы тоже). 11Л never watch TV. — (Я тоже). 12. She has to get up early — (Они тоже). 13. He hasn't got a car. — (Она тоже). 14. He is on the phone now. — (Мы тоже). 15. Nick can afford to buy a new house, — (Анна тоже).
Show your disagreement (see the example).
Example: I did not like the film. — Didn't you? I did, He wants to go to the country. — Dees
he? I don't.
1.1 feel tired. 2, He is eager to go to Great Britain. 3. She has never been to the Netherlands. 4.1 don't like chemistry. 5,1 am fond of the last book by this writer. 6. He is shocked with the news. 7.1 like jogging in the morning, 8. He hasn't done the work yet. 9. We can play tennis well. 10. We can't stay here any longer.
Choose the right variant.
1. The next day, Sunday, they both worked___from ___early morning.
a) hardly, the c) hard,___
b) hard, the d) hardly,___
2. You've been____working___.
a) hardly, lately c) hard, late
b) hard, lately d) hardly, late
3. And one day he saw two riders in a glade of - Hyde Park___to the Ham Gate.
a) the, closely c) ___, close
b) ___, closely d) the, close
4. It is___early spring, but I don't think I ever remember_______wonderful weather.
a) ___, such,___
c) an, so,___
d) the, such, the
5.1 have got too___time and my___care will be to find the___way to the village because___school I'm going to is at the___end.
a) little, next, nearest, the, farthest
b) a little, nearest, nearest, the, furthest
c) few, near, next, a, farther
d) little, next, next,___, further
6. They had___walk in the morning, then spent___afternoon helping___friends to cut down trees. Actually they were___, because___day was___.
a) ten-miles,___, some, tired,__tiring
b) ten-mile's, the, any, tiring, the, tired
c) ten-mile,___,___, tiring,___, tiring
d) a ten-mile, the, some, tired, the, tiring
7 At the present time___people can afford to travel ___abroad for their holidays.
b) lesser, the
d) fewer, an
8. Granny can go___because she feels___very___. But yesterday she could dress___without___help from me and then settled___in the armchair in the lounge.
a) everywhere, herself, bad, herself, any, herself
b) somewhere,___., badly,___,___,___.
c) anywhere, herself, badly,___, some, _
d) nowhere,,___, bad,___, any, herself
9. During___Middle Ages .___London increased twice___it was in size and wealth, But of course it is impossible to compare.___London of___Renaissance and___ London of___ nineties of our century.
a) the,____, as large as, the, the, the, the
b) ___, ___, аs large as,____,___, ____., the
c) the, the, larger than,,___, the,..____
d) the,____, as larger аз, the, the, the, the
10. Ann is___strange person. She has fallen in___ love with Nick at___first sight. But I am sure that no sooner___to marry him____she will start to have a lot of doubt and finally she will refuse him.
a) the, the, the, she will agree, than
b) a,___., the, will she agree, then
c) a,___,___, will she agree, than
d) a,___, __, she agrees, when
11. Let us hire___ boat and go for a row down___ River Lee,___? The river is here twice_______Thames at___Waterloo Bridge.
a) a, the, shall we, as large as, the, ___
b) the,___, do we, as larger than, the, the
c) a, the, don't we, as larger as, the,___
d) the,___, shan't we, large as,___, the
12. Well, I worked my way to___Suez on___board ___ship whose captain had fallen ill.
a) ___, ___, the c) ___, the, of
b) the. ___. a d) the,___, the
13, The___prisoner is tall, dark and has a beard. His looks ___known and the police___ seeking for him everywhere.
a) escapings are, are c) escaped, is, are
b) escaping, is, is d) escaped, are, are
14. She has___money to do___ job. Her proceeds ___to $2___.
a) great amount of, so, a, comes, millions
b) a large amount, such, __, come, million
c) a great amount of, such, a, come, million
d) large amount of, so,___, comes, millions
15.___she saw him,___she was, and___without him.
a) The more often, the more happier, the more she felt lonely
b) More often, happier, the lonelier she felt
c) The oftener, the happier, the lonelier felt she
d) The more often, the happier, the lonelier she felt
16. The professor looked___at the students' papers and then began to speak. His cold voice sounded___.
a) quick, terrible c) quickly, terribly
b) quickly, terrible d) quick, terribly
17. Of the two new teachers, one is___and___,
a) having experience, the others are not
b) experienced, another is inexperienced
c) experienced, the other is not
d) experiencing, other lacks experience
18. Because the first pair of pants did not fit___, he asked for___,.
a) properly, another pants
b) proper, others pants
c) proper, the others ones
d) properly, another pair
19. John said that no.___ car could go___.
a) another, so fast like his car
b) the other, as fast like his car
c) others, as fast as the car of him
d) other, as fast as his car
20.1 asked two people how to get to___Mall, but ___knew.
a) the, either of them
b) ___, none of them
c) the, neither of them
d) the, both of them