Vice President/Academic Affairs
Student Government Association, XYZ University (2003-2004)
- Chaired 60-member body representing each academic department and student perspectives on curricular issues
- Participated in college-wide policy decisions concerning such ethical issues as the sale of cigarettes on campus
- Student Alumni Society: Founding Member (2002-present)
- Committee on Academic Freedoms: Student Representative (2002-present)
- Skidmore Orchestra: French Horn (2001-present)
- American Studies Club: Secretary (2001-present)
- Proficient in written and spoken German
- Extensive experience with Internet Explorer, HTML, Lexis-Nexis and Microsoft Office
Compose your own CV. Use the phrases and the Action Verbs from Unit 7.
45. Read the following advertising text carefully in order to discover the main line of thought and make a plan for writing a summary:
Automotive Technician — Schools and Careers
Learn the skills you need to become an Automotive Technician. Jobs for Auto Technicians are in abundance according to experts in the industry. With technology rapidly changing, the need for highly skilled auto technicians is continually growing. Today’s automobiles are more complex than ever and Auto Technicians are required to have in-depth knowledge of auto mechanics, electronics and computer systems.
Strong mechanical and technical skills are essential to being successful in the profession. Automotive technology programmes provide the skill set needed for diagnosing, servicing and repairing both domestic and foreign automobiles. Students learn how to troubleshoot problems using the latest engine analyzers, hand held scanners and other computerized diagnostic equipment. In general, studies range from basic engine systems to custom-built, high performance engines.
There are also courses on computerized fuel injection, anti-lock brakes, passenger restraint systems, computerized engine control and more. Some schools offer programmes to prepare technicians for the ASE Certification. ASE stands for Automotive Service Excellence — the national standard of automotive technician competence.
Other schools offer manufacturer sponsored advanced automotive training programmes. Some schools specializing in training for Automotive Technicians provide graduates with internships at auto dealerships and automotive repair centers.
Many automotive technology schools are industry accredited and provide job placement assistance for graduates. Financial assistance is normally available to those who qualify.
Graduation from an automotive technology school can prepare you for a rewarding career in this exciting industry. Put yourself in the driver’s seat and begin a career as an Automotive Technician.
|Pre-Text Exercises Word Building Active Vocabulary Text 9 A. Computer Use and Computer Engineering Text 9 B. Computer Inside Text 9 C. The Motherboard Text 9 D. The Educational Purposes of Computer Use in Russia Text And Vocabulary Exercises Conversational Practice The Business Letter Writing Practice|
1. Here are some expressions with the prepositions under and up. Translate and memorize them:
|§ it is up to you||§ time is up||§ to be under repair|
|§ to pick up||§ to ring up||§ to save up|
|§ to sit up||§ to stand up||§ to wake up|
|§ up to date||§ up and down||§ hurry up|
|§ to be under the circumstances||§ to be under consideration||§ up to the mark|
2. Fill in the gaps with the expressions above in the appropriate form:
1. If you ___ early in the morning you will be able to do a lot.
2. They were going along the forest ___ mushrooms on their way.
3. Children, ___ please because we have little time.
4. John ___ and left the room.
5. You must solve this problem yourself, ___.
6. Will you ___ me ___ when he brings the papers?
7. This is ___ technology and we are going to use it.
3. Fill in the correct prepositions:
1. She is always late ___ her lessons because she is very absent minded.
2. My twins are so much alike that sometimes I cannot tell them ___ each other.
3. ___ his point of view Charlie is not right.
4. We always take ___ consideration all her remarks.
5. Polly works ___ morning ___ night and looks so exhausted.
6. Henry has just recovered ___ pneumonia and is still rather weak.
7. They are so proud ___ their children.
4. Choose the correct word to complete the sentences:
1. You are too late. This information is ___ date now.
a) over; b) out of; c) into.
2. We like to go ___ a walk when the weather is warm.
a) for; b) on; c) at.
3. He came to that place day ___ day but he never saw this girl again.
a) on; b) at; c) by.
4. Father prevented the child ___ falling down.
a) from; b) at; c) on.
5. They got too tired and decided to lie ___.
a) up; b) down; c) after.
6. She was named ___ her aunt and she didn’t like her name.
a) after; b) over; c) into.
7. Let’s divide the bun ___ halves. It’s too big for one person.
a) onto; b) in; c) into.
8. The squirrel looked so funny that children started to laugh ___ it.
a) at; b) over; c) on.
9. We always like to play ___ the open air.
a) on; b) at; c) in.
5. Explain the meaning of the following words and phrases in English:
Computer engineers; information technology; software; hardware
6. Choose the correct word to fill the gaps:
1. As with all modern scientific and technological endeavours, computers and software ___ an increasingly important role.
2. Computer models of designs ___ be checked for flaws without having to make expensive and time-consuming prototypes.
3. Computer Engineering ___ a discipline encompassing electronic engineering and computer science.
4. Electronic equipment today relies heavily ___ computer technology.
5. There is a high demand ___ engineers who are able to design and manage all forms of computer systems in industry.
6. The computer ___ an integral part of modern everyday life.
|will become||has become||became||to become|
7. As the computer became very accessible, the sphere of its use ___ widened.
8. The use of computers as bases ___ the storage of tremendous volume of information are probably used the most widely used function.
9. It is now ___ to convert a tremendous quantity of pictures and copies of unique documents which were, in former times, inaccessible for most researchers.
10. The use of the computer will become ___ because it allows us to accustom children to the world of knowledge in forms which are very comfortable to them and yet provide programmes with important content.
|less important||most important||unimportant||more important|