Verb and Subject Agreement
Open the brackets and write the correct fown of the verb.
1. The driver as well as the passenger (be) hurt in the accident. 2. The salt and the pepper (be) put on the table. 3. Not only she, but also everybody (be) embarrassed by his rude manner. 4. Two hour's study (be) enough for him to prepare for a quiz. 5. Not only the teacher, but also the students themselves (be) tired. 6. He was at his wit's end. His last sixpence (be) spent. 7. She as well as we (be) highly satisfied with their work. 8. Not only the earth but also the planets (move) round the sun. 9. Two thousand dollars (be) wasted by him in the casino. 10. (Be) either of them ready to go there? 11. Three Comrades (be) a novel by Remark. 12. Bread and butter (be) his usual breakfast. 13. If either of them (take) a leave now, we won't be able to finish the project. 14. My aim and objective (be) to make English grammar clear to everyone. 15.1 can wait, four weeks (be) not so long. 16. The grey and blue blanket (be) washed today. 17. A variety of questions (be) put to the lecturer. 18. The number of books which we have to read for the exams (be) considerable. 19. A great number of students (be) present at the conference. 20. The great majority of writers, Painters, and architects (be) talented people. 21. The pair (Ann and Nick) (be) so absorbed in their own conversation that their surroundings were of little importance to them. 22. The majority (believe) that we are in danger of becoming extinct because of our destructive policy. 23. The majority of people (believe) that he is guilty. 24. The number of young people entering higher institutions (be) increasing. 25. A great number of books (be) in bad condition because the building of the library needs repairing.
Verbs be, have, do
The Verb be
Exercise 102.Match the sentences on the left with their replies on the right. Pay attention to the use of the verb to be.
1) What's wrong with your son? a) Don't be in a hurry, we've got enough time.
2) The Browns are nice people. b) I am not interested in politics.
3) There is nothing to be seen.c) I am through with it.
4) I don't think it's difficult. d) I am sick and tired of his words.
You shouldn't give in.
5) Have you finished the book? e) I am against going there.
6) It is not anybody's fault.f) He is starting a cold.
7) I don't like watching the news. g) It is a pity you haven't made up your mind yet.
8) Why haven't you finished the work in h) I am for inviting them to dinner.
9) He comes to see me every day and tries to i) The problem is worth solving.
10) I am trying to choose the topic j) Nobody is to blame, for my essay.
11) Why are you so rushing about? k) Who is responsible for it?
Give the interrogative and the negative forms of the sentences.
1. They are to meet at 9 o'clock sharp. 2. She was to arrive at five o'clock in the afternoon, 3. We were to meet under the Big Clock at the station. 4. The luggage is to be examined at the customs office. 5. The traffic regulations are to be observed. 6. He is to do the work tomorrow. 7. He is to leave for Washington one of these days. 8. Jack is to speak to the top manager tonight. 9. The delegation is to arrive in Moscow in a week. 10. Mr. Black is to take part in the talks.
Choose the right variant.
1. We were to (meet/have met) at 3, but she did not come. 2.1 was to (come/have come) at 3, and I managed not to be late. 3. The train was to (leave/have left) at midnight, but there was a delay, and we started off at one in the morning. 4, She was to (phone/have phoned) in the evening. She rang me up in the morning. 5. He was to (speak/have spoken) to his new manager, and he was excited about it. 6. She was to (take/have taken) a difficult examination. 7. The prime minister was to (arrive/have arrived) yesterday. Because of his sudden disease the visit was postponed.
Translate into English using the verb to be.
1. Ей предстоит решить очень трудную задачу. 2. Я не знаю, что я должен сделать. 3. Ей сегодня предстоит собеседование (interview). Она очень волнуется. 4. В котором часу они должны провести переговоры (talks)? 5. Что нам делать? У нас нет денег. 6. Ей предстояло предпринять серьезный шаг. 7. Мы должны были встретиться в семь, но он почему-то (for some reason) не пришел. 8. Мне предстояло впервые покинуть дом. 9. Я должен был начать работу на прошлой неделе, но пере- • думал. 10. Нам предстоит организовать встречу.
Choose the right variant.
1. You (were being/were) very stupid last night. Why did you behave like this? 2. It (is/is being) very stuffy in here. Let's open the window, 3. He (is/is being) very generous. It's strange. He is not usually like that. 4. She (was/was being) so nice towards me. I am expecting an unpleasant surprise. 5. She (is/is being) always so kind to me. 6, It is so strange he has not made any mistakes. I think he (was/was being) so careful then. 7, She looks bad. — Yes. She (is/is being) very tired and depressed. 8. He (is/is being) so polite to me at present.
The Verb have
Give the interrogative and negative forms of the following sentences.
1, He has a lot of experience, 2. She has a bath every day. 3. She has got a lot of jewelry. 4. They have a Io1 of rare plants in their garden. 5. She usually has a rest after dinner. 6» They had late supper tonight. 7. We have got a lot of problems now. 8. They had a pleasant voyage last summer. 9. Her mother has a flat in the High Street. 10. The president has a bad cold.
Change these sentences into the Present Continuous where possible making all necessary changes.
Example: They have parties on Sundays. — They are having a party now.
I, She has got long dark hair. 2. They have a lot of friends. 3. She has a shower every evening. 4. Helen often has a chat with Robert. 5. We usually have a good time at the weekend. 6.1 have less money than before. 7. She has a heart for pets. 8. Does she have a telephone in her new apartment? 9. He has a swim every evening. 10. We have a lot of fun after work.
Give the interrogative and negative forms of the following sentences.
1. They have to go there. 2. Bess has got to stay here till late at night. 8„1 often have to travel on business. 4о They had to buy tickets for the next train. 5. They have to work a lot to earn money» 6. She has to take another exam. 7. We have got to leave the party because of our baby. 8. You have to get permission to go there. 9. She has to go shopping after work. 10. He has to see a dentist tomorrow» II. We had to change our plans. 12. He had to revise the rule to write the test well. 13. She has got to work at the weekend. 14. They had to spend more money ob this trip. 15. He has to go by underground. His car has broken down. 16. She has to keep to a diet.
Fill In the blanks with the proper form of the verb? t<j ttave (to) or to have got (to)
1. Last month he spent his holiday at the seaside. He ___a room at the top of the hotel. 2. Mom, don't worry! We___a very good time here. 3. Yesterday I___.get up early to catch the train. 4. He gave up teaching. He___ no patience. 5. We___got to finish work at 4 o'clock. 6. She___a bath now. 7.___a look at this picture! I am sure it's a Dali. 8.1 am sure he___some information to
pass on you. 9. He___got a lot of work to do. 10. There are two kinds of speeches: there is the speech that a person makes when he___ something to say and the speech when he___say something.
Change the following sentences into question tags.
1. She'll have to stay at home these days. 2. He often has to go to the dentist. 8. We have to begin the experiment at five o'clock. 4. They had to lay the fire. 5. You look a bit tired, you've had a long walk. 6. She has to go there twice a week. 7. As they understood, he had to stay there for a fortnight. 8. He had to finish work by Thursday. 9. They never have dinner at home. 10. They had a new car.
Choose the right variant making all necessary changes,
1. What I (be/have) to do? 2. Not a sound (be/have) to be heard. 3. They were late, they (be/have) to wait for the bus. 4. According to the plan we (be/have) to finish the work in two days. 5. A new reader (be/have) to appear in the near future. 6. He (be/have) to buy a small car because he did not have enough money for a bigger one. 7. She (be/have) to buy the tickets for the next day because all the tickets had been sold out. 8. A new satellite (be/ have) to be launched in June. 9. We (be/have) to hurry because our friends were waiting for us. 10. The lecture (be/have) to begin at 11 o'clock.
Translate into English using the verb to have to or to be to.
1. Ему придется работать вместо (instead of) нее. 2. Им пришлось работать допоздна? 3. Я вынужден сейчас уйти. Мне предстоят важные переговоры (talks). 4. Мне не нужно завтра работать, у меня выходной (day off). 5. Мы должны были встретиться в 5, а так как я мог опоздать, мне пришлось взять такси. 6. Вам приходится много работать на компьютере, не так ли? 7. Она спешила домой. Ей предстояло приготовить ужин для гостей. 8. Она должна была вчера позвонить, но ей пришлось срочно (urgently) уехать. 9. Простите, что опоздал. Вам пришлось долго ждать? 10. Мне не надо переводить эту статью.
The Verb do
Change the verbs in bold type by the appropriate form of the verb to do.
1. Peter speaks English as well as Ann speaks. 2. He spent as much money as you spent. 3. She reads as fast as you read. 4. They showed us more sights than our guide showed. 5. Mary sang much better than Emily usually sings. 6. He likes the same dishes as you like. 7. She uses the same perfume as I use. 8. He answered more questions than Pete answered. 9, The new teacher spoke much faster than our old teacher speaks. 10. She plays the piano as well as a professional plays. 11. We reached the camp earlier than our friends reached. 12. You know her as well as I know. 13. She likes to see the same films as he likes.
Make the sentences more emphatic.
Example: Please sit down. — Do sit down, please. He wentthere. — He did go there.
1. He loves her. 2 Say something! Don't keep silent, 3.1 want you to believe me that he is trustworthy. 4. She wanted to get an excellent mark. 5. Listen to her, it's very important, 6.1 wanted to leave. 7. "But I mean it!" she cried. 8. Treat him more trustingly, it's your duty! 9. They had to find the way out. 10. Stop playing the fool, please. 11. At last ho received the job he had wanted for such a long time. 12. Come, Ann; I'm waiting. I really must ask you to be reasonable and listen to what I said and say. 13.1 want to show you my house today. 14. Life changed for them.
The Indicative mood
The Use of Tenses
Complete the sentences with the words from the box using them in the proper form of the Present Indefinite Tense.
1. The child,___to school every day. His father___him there in his car, 2. She always___ lunch at school. 3. Richard's life in Paris is a bit difficult. He___only English. 4. What's the matter? You.__„very sad. 5, Liz is good at tennis. She___every game. 6. It___quite reasonable. 7. Winter is warm here. It___very seldom. But sometimes it___.' 8. Helen is on a diet. She .___a
little. 9. He___in a hurry. 10. The exams at school___ in April.
Open the brackets and use the proper tense.
1. Linda and I (work) for a company, which (produce) automobiles. 2. We both (work) at an office which (be) just in front of the factory where cars (be made). 3, I (start) work at ten o'clock, and Linda (come) to the office at nine. 4. She (be) good at typing, she (write) letters and reports every day. 5. She (not know) French very well, so she often (go) to the sixth floor where I (work), 6.1 sometimes (help) her translate letters, as I (know) French rather well. 7. Linda also (answer) telephone calls, sometimes she (show) visitors around the factory. 8. She (do) common paperwork, she (write) memos, (file) reports, (answer) letters. 9. She often (arrange) meetings for her boss and other managers of the company. 10. You (understand) what her job (be)? Yes, she (be) a secretary. 11. But she (not like) her job and (want) to be a manager.
Find and correct fifteen mistakes in the spelling of the following present participles.
copiing, putting, translateing, telling, closing, sitting, seing, giving, meetting, being, forgeting, lieing, getting, filing, swimming, betting, quiting, spreadding, eatting, begining, paing, openning, cutting, forbiding, laying, splitting, winning, dying, stoping
Open the brackets and put tha verb into the Present Indefinite or the Present Continuous Tense.
1. Be quiet, please. We (work) at the translation and you (make) a lot of noise. 2. He always (go) for a walk in the evening. 3. Where is Jack? — He (meet) his girlfriend at the station. She (come) at 12 o'clock. 4. She (cry). Is something wrong? 5. In the morning I (have) little time, so I (take) a shower in the evening. 6. A decade (describe) a period of ten years. 7. Her brother (work) in Canada at present. 8. She always (dream) but (do) nothing to realize her dreams. 9. He (be) so suspicious to me at the moment. I wonder why. 10. Hurry up, Jane! We all (wait) for you. 11. Turn off the gas. Don't you see the kettle (boil)? 12. The children are still ill but they (get) better gradually. 13. Don't bother her. She (take) her French lesson: she always (take) it in the morning. 14. The living standards (change). Every month things (get) more expensive. 15. Tom and Mary (leave) for the Netherlands tomorrow. 16.1 have just started English courses. I (study) English grammar. 17. Mercury (boil) at 357.23 degrees Centigrade. 18. We must buy new plates. — It's useless. You always (break) plates. 19. It (surprise) me that they can't sell their flat. 20. A woman who (look) after other people's children is a nanny.
Correct the the verbs in bold type if the tenses are wrong.
1. The clock is striking, it's time to finish your studies. 2. They are understanding the problem now. 3. Where is John? — He prepares his lessons; he usually prepares them at that time. 4. They are glad to know that their son is coining home next week. 5. The evening is warm, but you are shivering. Is anything the matter? — Nothing serious, I am feeling cold. 6. Can I see Mr. Green? — I am sorry, you can't: he has dinner. 7. The soup is tasting delicious. 8. Now I am seeing what you are driving at. 9. He believes in God and is always going to church on Sundays. 10.1 am hating to speak to him. He is always complaining and forgetting what to do. 11. They are being so nice to me at present. I am feeling they are liking me. 12. He often changes his political view’s. Now he is belonging to the Conservative Party. 13. Look! Somebody tries to open your car. 14. Oh, I won't take this dish. It is smelling awful. 15. How can I recognize him? I haven't met him. — He is wearing a yellow leather jacket and green jeans. 16. She usually drinks tea in the morning, but today she drinks coffee. 17. The last train is leaving the station at 11.50. 18. He is wanting to buy a car, but first he must learn to drive, so he is taking his driving lessons. 19.1 can't stand him. He is liking to mock at people. He is always laughing at us when we meet. 20. Don't laugh at lessons, you are always laughing too much and the teachers are usually complaining of you.
Translate from Russian into English.
1. Питер обычно делает домашние задания перед ужином. 2. Почему ты идешь так быстро? — Я боюсь опоздать (miss) на поезд. Обычно я выхожу из дома раньше и иду медленно, 3, Какие новые предметы студенты изучают в этом году? 4. Почему он сегодня такой заботливый? Странно, обычно он ведет себя по-другому. 5. Мистер Томпсон сейчас живет в Праге. — Что он там делает? — Он преподает английский. 6. Сегодня идет снег. Обычно зима здесь теплая, и снег идет редко. 7. Я не могу больше с вами разговаривать. Почему вы всегда критикуете (criticize) все, что я делаю? 8. Что с тобой? Ты очень бледная. Как ты себя чувствуешь? — У меня сильно болит голова. 9. Когда они улетают в Нью-Йорк? — На следующей неделе. 10, Что ты делаешь? Зачем ты кладешь соль в кофе? 11. Сейчас кризис, и цены растут очень быстро. 12. Как вкусно пахнет кофе! Сделай мне чашечку, только без сахара.
Open the brackets and give the proper forms of the Past Indefinite Tense.
1. The building of the trade centre (begin) a month ago. 2. It (be) bitterly cold yesterday. I (put) on my warm coat but I (catch) a cold still. 3. The postman (bring) the morning mail only at 10 o'clock. 4.1 (see) you the other day coming out of the library with a stack of books. Are you preparing for the exams? 5, We (have) a picnic yesterday, but the rain (spoil) the whole pleasure. 6. You (go) to the South when yoa (be) a child? 7. As soon as I came up, they (get) into a taxi and (go) away. 8. What sights you (see) when yon (be) in Egypt? 9. Every winter Nick (go) to the Swiss Alps to ski, 10, He (come) in, (take) off his hat, (move) a chair to the table and (join) the conversation. 11. When he (arrive)? — The plane was delayed and he (come) two hours later. 12. How much your bag (cost)? — I (pay) $80 for it.
Read an extract and open the brackets using the proper tenses.
Positano (stand) on the side of a steep hill and is a very picturesque place. In winter lots of painters, male and female, (crowd) its two or three modest hotels, but if you (come) there in summer you will have it to yourself. The hotel (be) clean and cool and there (be) a terrace where you can sit at night and look at the sea. Down on the quay there (be) a little tavern where they (offer) you macaroni, ham, fresh-caught fish and cold wine.
One August, tiring of Capri where I had been staying, I (make up) my mind to spend a few days at Positano, so I (hire) a fishing boat and (row) over, I (arrive) afc Positano in the evening. I (stroll) up the hill to the hotel, I (be surprised) to learn thai I was not its only guest. The waiter, whose name was Guiseppe, (tell) me that an American signorc had bееn staying there for three months. "Is he a painter or a writer or something?" I (ask). ''No, signore, he (bе) a gentleman. You will see the signore at the tavern. He аlways (dine) there," (say) Guiseppe.
A Give news about yourself and other people to a friend of yours. Use the words given to make sentences in the Present Perfect Tense.
Example: My sister/get married. —My sister has got married
1.1/find/a new job. 2. My father/retire. 3. Jane and Mike/go to work/to Australia. 4. I/buy/a new motorcycle. 5. My niece/start to walk. 6. The Browns/move/to another town. 7. Jack's Grandpa/die. 8. I/join/another football club. 9. Nick and Rita/divorce. 10. John/receive/ a fortune, he/become/a millionaire.
В Ask your friend who is in the USA questions about what he or his relatives have seen or done (use the Present Perfect Tense).
Example: You/have/a good journey? — Have you had a good journey?
1. You/already/see/the Great American Lakes? 2. You/be/to Broadway? 3. Mike/manage to see/the Statue of Liberty? 3. What/new places/your brother/show to you? 4. Ann/visit/the White House? 5. Your father/get/ promotion? 6. You/receive/your driving license? 7. Your brother/change/a car? 8, What kind of house/you/buy1
С Say what you or your friends have not done yet (year, month, etc.).
Example: I/not be/to the theatre/this month. — / have not been to the theatre this month,
1. Sue/not read/Gone with the Wind/yet. 2. Jill/not enter/London University/this year. 3. Larry/not produce/ a new film/yet. 4. Peggy and Paul/not move/to another flat this month. 5. Pete/not finish/his project yet. 6. My cousin/not get married/this month. 7. Mrs. Brown/not recover/yet. 8. They/not go/on business/this week.
Open the brackets and put the verb into the correct tense, either the Present Indefinite, the Present Continuous or the Present Perfect.
1. As a rule, I (have) porridge for breakfast, but this morning I (order) an omelette. 2. This is the house where I (live). I (live) here since childhood. 3. Stop smoking! The room (be) full of smoke which (come) from your pipe. Usually nobody (smoke) here as Mother (not let) it. 4.1 (write) letters home once a week, but I (not write) one this week, so my next letter must be rather long. 5. No wonder she (look) tired after the strain under which she (be) for a month. 6. Why you (not shave) this morning? — I (shave) every other day. 7. Research (show) that lots of people (absorb) new information more efficiently at some times of day than at others. A biological rhythm (affect) different people in different ways. 8.1 just (look) at the barometer and (see) that it (fall) very quickly. 9. Don't shout so loudly. Father (not finish) work and he hates if anybody (make a noise) while he (work). 10.1 regularly (see) him at the tram stop, but I (not see) him these two or three days.
Open the brackets and put the verb into the correct tense, either the Past Indefinite or the Present Perfect.
1. You (find) the money which you (lose) yesterday? — Yes, I (find) it in the pocket of my coat when I (come) home. 2. The rain (stop) but a strong wind is still blowing, 3. You (see) Nick today? — Yes, but he already (leave). 4. We never (see) him. We don't even know what he looks like. 5. She (meet) them in the Globus theatre last afternoon. 6. How long you (know) him? — We (meet) in 1996, but we (not see) each other since last autumn. 7. He (live) in St. Petersburg for two years and then (go) to Siberia. 8. When he (arrive)? — He (arrive) at 2 o'clock. 9,1 (read) this book when I was at school. 10.1 can't go with you because I (not finish) my lessons yet. 11. The clock is slow. — It isn't slow, it (stop). 12. He (leave) for Canada two years ago and I (not see) him since. 13. This is the fifth cup of coffee you (have) today! I4.lt is the most beautiful place I (visit). 16 I (not see) Nick lately. Anything (happen) to him? ~- Yes, he (get) into an accident three weeks ago. Since that time he (be) in hospital. 16. Why you (switch on) the light? It isn't dark yet. 17. He (do) everything already? — Yes, he (do) his part of work long ago. 18. The last post (come)? — Yes, it (come) half an hour ago. 19. When you (meet) him last? 20. You ever (be) to Japan? — Yes, I (be) there the year when there was an earthquake. 21. The discussion already (begin). Why are you always late? 22. Why you (take) my pen while I was out? You (break) it. 23. You never (tell) me why you're called Tony when your name is John. 24, Her father (die) when she was a small girl. 25. They (not meet) since they (leave) school. 26. The rain (stop). Come out, I want to speak with you.
Match the two halves of these sentences.
1) He caught a cold a) all day.
2) She lias been interested , in maths b) before.
3) They went out c) since last year.
4) He has been in love with her d) when he was six.
5) The Nobel Fund was set up e) up to now.
6) He has been engaged at the plant f) when he had to wait for the bus.
7) He hasn't been abroad g) a few minutes ago.
8) I've visited seven countries h) in the first half of the 20th century.
9) Mary and Nick have never quarrelled like i) since she began to study it.
10) My son started school j) for two years.
Choose che correct variant.
1 ___ever___ to this museum? — Yes, I___it once when I___a youth, and the pictures___ a deep impression on me. Since then I___there.
a) did you be, visited, was, made, was not
b) were you, visited, was, have made, was not
c) have you been, have visited, were, have made, have not been
d) have you been, visited, was, made, have not been
2.1___Jack lately. When___him last? — I___ mm two days ago. I___ that he ___very much.
a) did not see, have you seen, met, thought, changes
b) have not seen, did you see, met, think, changed
c) have not seen, you saw, met, think, changed
d) do not see, have you seen, have met, thought, would change
3, The Egyptian civilization.___ the oldest which___ us art. It___about five thousand years ago. The story of Egyptian art___three thousand years and__ the art of different periods.
a) is, left, began, covers, includes
b) was, leaves, has begun, covered, included
c) is, has left, \vas began, has covered9 has included
d) has be?n, left, began, covers, included
4,___ your tennis racket with you? — Yes, I am going to show you how much I __ since last summer. I ___tennis lessons now. Now it___for you to judge if I ___ any progress,
a) did you bring, improved, take, is, have made
b) have you brought, improved, take, was, have made
c) did you bring, have improved, am taking, is, made
d) have you brought, have improved, am taking, is, have made
5.___lunch already? — No, not yet. The waitress my order fifteen minutes ago and___me anything yet.
a) have you, took, has not brought
b) have you had, took, has not brought
c) did you have, has taken, did not bring
d) have you have, was taken, was not brought
Translate the following sentences using the Past Indefinite or the Present Perfect.
1. Где мистер Андерсен? — Он уехал в Гаагу. — Когда? — Несколько дней тому назад. — А я никогда не был в Нидерландах, хотя хочу там побывать уже несколько лет. 2. Вы когда-нибудь были в Санта-Барбаре? — Да. — Когда вы там были в последний раз? — В прошлом году. 3. Где Анна? Почему она не пришла в институт? Я ее сегодня не видел. С ней что-нибудь случилось? — Да нет, Анна здесь. Она только что пошла на лекцию. Но лекция уже началась, так что ты не сможешь сейчас с ней поговорить. 4. Вы были в театре на Бродвее? Что вы там смотрели? Когда вы там были в последний раз? 5. В последнее время я не получала писем (hear from) от своих родителей. — Когда ты получила последнее письмо? — Месяц назад. С тех пор я уже отправила им несколько писем. 6. Пойдемте в ресторан обедать. —• С удовольствием. Я еще не обедал. — А когда вы завтракали? — Поздно утром, но я уже давно хочу есть. 7. Погода изменилась со вчерашнего дня. Очень холодно, идет снег и дует сильный ветер. 8. Они уже ушли? — Да, они вышли ровно в семь. 9. Они познакомились полгода тому назад у моей подруги, но с тех пор не виделись. 10. Я скучаю по своей семье. Мне кажется, я не был дома уже целую вечность. Моя командировка длится уже полгода. 11. Вы уже написали контрольную работу? Покажите мне ее» 12. Давно вы приехали? Видели его? — Я приехала вчера, Я видела его и говорила с ним сегодня после завтрака. 13. Месяца три спустя он уехал в Африку, С тег пор они не встречались. 14, Я давно пришла сюда. Я здесь с 9 часов. 15, У тебя с тех пор немного потемнели волосы,, 16, Мы только что продали последний экземпляр этой книги. Жаль, что вы не сказали нам, что она вам нужна» 17. Когда я заболел? — Три дня назад. Я с ним со вчерашнего дня. 18, Я узнал ваш телефон в справочном бюро (enquiry office) и звонил вам несколько раз, но никто не отвечал. 19. Вы давно здесь? — Нет, я только что пришел. 20. Он научился плавать в детстве. Они тогда были на юге.
Complete the sentences with the verbs from the box using the Present Perfect Continuous Tense,
1. He __ for two hours, tell him to rest a little. 2 "I ___a long time for you," said my friend with a displeased air. 3. They___ a noise since I came here. 4. How long you___to get in touch with your friend? 5. Your face is dirty with paint. What you___? You___the house? 6. They___this problem for more than two hours. 7. I ask you to keep to the point, You___for fifteen minutes,
but the subject of your report is not clear yet. 8. He is a rather experienced specialist. He___his business for seven years. 9. There is a lot of snow in the street as it ___since yesterday. 10. How long your brother___as a doctor? 11. I've got sore feet. We___for six hours already.
Open the brackets end put the verbs intothe Present Perfect Continuous Tense orthe Present Perfect Tense.
1. I (try) to get into contact with them for a long time, but new I (give) it up as hopeless» 2, My shortsighted uncle (lose) Ins spectacles. We (look) for them everywhere but we can't find them, 3, She (be) of great help to us since she (live) for such a long time with us, 4. You ever (work) as interpreter? — Yes, thai is what I (do) for the last five months, 5. They (make up) their quarrel? — I don't know. I only know that they (not be) on speaking terms since September. 6. Our pilot (ask) for permission to take off for ten minutes already, but he (get) no answer yet. 7. A skilful photographer (help) me with the development of summer films for two weeks, but we (develop) only half of them, 8.1 (know) them since we met at Ann's party» 9. You (open) the door at last» I (ring) for an hour at least, it seems to me. 10. Looks the typist (talk) all the time, she already (miss) several words.
Open the brackets and pat the verbs into the proper tense, either the Present Continuous or the Present Perfect Continuous Tense.
1. Don't come in, He (take) an exam. He (take) his exam for half an hour already. 2, Where are the children? — They (play volleyball). They (play volleyball) since t\\o o'clock, 3. 1 (learn) to type for a month and can say that my typing (improve). 4. Nick (come) round to see as tonight. 5* He (stay) at his sister's for six weeks» He (try) to find somewhere to live. 6. We can't dance as my father (work) in the study. He (prepare) a report. He (v rite) it for the whole day. 7. Do you see what the child (do) with your hat? Тakе it from him. 8. They still (discuss) the article? But they (do) it since twelve o'clock! 9. The prices (go up)o They (rise) since 1991, 10. What a strong wind (blow)! It (blow) since yesterday.
Open the brackets and put the verbs into the proper tense (the Present Indefinite, the Present Continuous, the Present Perfect Continuous or the Present Perfect Tense).
1. It (snow) steadily the whole week and it still (snow). 2» We (climb) for six hours already, but we (not reach) the top of the mountain yet. 3. The pain already (go) but the child still (cry), 4. The workers (work) very hard these two weeks, they (be) busy with the interior decoration of the house» 5. He (solve) the crossword puzzle for an hour and he (say) he (be) about to solve it as he (think) over the last word о 6. He (work) at the language all the time and (make) great progress. His pronunciation (be) rather good, only a slight accent (remain). 7„ Не (finish) the first part of his book and now he (write) the second. He (work) at his book for two years, 8. Dusliri Hoffman, who (play) the hero, (give) a fine performance. 9. Why your hair (be) wet? You (swim)? 10, Doctors and scientists (show) recently the benefit of fish in the diet.
Translate into English.
1. Он наш тренер (trainer) с тех пор, как я начал играть в этой команде. 2. Они уже приняли решение (take a decision) по этому вопросу? — Нет. Они все еще спорят (argue). Они обсуждают этот вопрос уже два часа и еще не пришли ни к какому решению, 3. Утро было солнечное, но с одиннадцати погода изменилась, и сейчас идет дождь. 4. Чем вы занимаетесь с тех пор, как мы расстались (part)? 5. Мэри уже приехала? — Да, она уже здесь два дня. Она приехала в пятницу. 6. Студенты пишут контрольную работу уже два часа. Пока только двое сдали работы. 7. Гроза (thunderstorm) прошла, но небо покрыто темными тучами, и дует сильный ветер. 8. Вы прочитали книгу, которую я вам дала? 9. Вы плохо выглядите. Вы много работали на этой неделе? — Да. Я работаю над переводом уже десять дней, но сделала только половину. 10. Что здесь делает этот человек? — Он ждет секретаря. Она еще не пришла на работу.
Open the brackets and use either the Past Indefinite or the Past Continuous.
1, We (walk) in silence when he suddenly (ask) me to help him. 2.1 just (have) breakfast when the telephone (ring). When I came back to my coffee, it (be) cold. 3. When I (finish) my letter in the hall, a tall beautiful woman with red hair (enter). A dog (follow) her. 4. Ann (drop) two cups while she (wash up) last night, but neither of the cups (break). 5.1 (walk) along the street watching what (go on) around me. Fast cars (rush) in both directions and it (be) impossible to cross the street. 6. The old man who (sit) on the bench beside me (keep) silence. Then suddenly he (turn round) to me and (begin) to speak. 7.1 (stand) near the fence when suddenly I (hear) the voices. 8. He well (remember) the day when he first (go) to school. 9. We (talk) about Jim when he (run) into the room. 10. The day was marvelous: the sun (shine), the birds (sing) so we (decide) to go for a walk. 11. Miss Brown's telephone (ring) when she (dress). 12.1 (light) my pipe and (nod) to him to show that I (listen). 13. When he (come) into the office the secretary (do) a crosswords puzzle. 14. Why you (not listen) to me while I (speak)? 15. He (wait) for her, but she never (come).
Find the mistakes if any. Use the proper tense.
1. When I came, he was having breakfast. 2. When she worked there, she often made mistakes. 3. When he was phoning, she had a bath, 4. While I was ironing, he read a newspaper, 5.1 cooked supper when I heard this news. 6. He was working in this company in 1997. 7.1 could not answer your call, I worked in the garden then. 8. They wished to stay because they enjoyed themselves,
9, Were you quarreling all evening? 10. The train was approaching the city when it was raining heavily, 11. The secretary still typed when the boss came in and was putting some documents on the table. 12. When he came up to the square, he saw a lot of people: they sang, danced and shouted. They were celebrating New Year, 13. Just as I was coming into the room, the students discussed the first report. 14, All the time I was writing, he was annoying me with silly questions. 15, The children played while the mother put the room in order.
Choose the right variant using the Present Perfect, the Past Indefinite cr the Past Continuous Tense.
1. While I (was waiting/waited/have waited) for him to call up, he (had/was having/have had) a good time in the bar. 2. She (has written/wrote/was writing) this exercise yesterday at 8 o'clock. 3. He (has invited/was inviting/ invited) me to the party yesterday. 4.1 (passed/have passed/ was passing) my exam in history today. 5. He (read/has read/was reading) a book two days ago. 6. They (have seen/ saw/were seeing) this film last week. 7. She (painted/has painted/was painting) the picture when I came. 8.1 (made/ have made/was making) my report when you entered the hall. 9. They (learnt/were learning/have learnt) the new words yesterday from three till seven. 10. It (rained/has rained/was raining) this week. 11. She (was having/had/ has had) a bath at seven o'clock last night. 12. She (was washing/washed/has washed) dishes already. 13. They (had/have had/were having) supper when the telephone rang, 14.1 (didn't meet/haven't met/was not meeting) you for ages. 15. Last summer he (has gone/was going/ went) to the Caucasus. 16, She was thoughtfully looking at him while he (read/was reading/has read) a newspaper. 17. While I (swept/was sweeping/has swept) the floor, Mrs, Parker began cooking. 18.1 just (had/have had/was having) a telegram to say that my poor friend is badly ill again. 19. We (sat/were sitting/have sat) in silence for a few minutes. He (spoke/was speaking/has spoken) at last.
20. While she (washed/was washing/has washed up), she (was hearing/heard/has heard) the doorbell, then voices. 21. "She (was making/made/has made) tea, let's go to the dining room". 22. Only two stars (shone/were shining/ has shone) in the dark blue sky. 23. On glancing at the address, he observed that it (contained/was containing/ has contained) no name. 24. He just (left/was leaving/has left) the hall when a stranger (entered/was entering/has entered). 25.1 (met/was meeting/have met) Ann at her father's house twenty years ago and (knew/have known/ was knowing) her ever since.
Choose the right variant.
1. Higher education in the US___in 1636 when the first colonists___Harvard College.
a) has begun, founded
b) began, have founded
c) began, founded
d) was beginning, have founded
2. Noah Webster___ An American Dictionary of the English Language in two volumes in 1828, and since then it___the recognized authority for usage in the United States.
a) published, became
b) has published, has become
c) published, was becoming
d) published, has become
3. He___at Oxford then. He was not the best student, though he ___ well known among the second year students.
a) was studying, became
b) was studying, has become
c) studied, became
d) has studied, has become
4. One day when he___home he___a boy who___ him from the opposite side of the street.
a) was walking, saw, watched
b) walked, has seen, was watching
c) was walking, saw, was watching
d) has walked, has seen, has watched
5. It was midnight. She____ in her lonely room. The rain driven by the rain__ against the window.
a) sat, beat
b) was sitting, was beating
c) has sat, beat
d) has been sitting, has been beating
Translate into English.
1. Я так и не увидел Великие озера. Когда поезд проезжал этот район, была ночь. 2. Пока директор вел беседу с представителями (representative) иностранных фирм (firm), секретарь сортировала утреннюю почту. 3. Том Сойер не мог играть со своими товарищами Он красил забор (fence). 4. Уже садилось солнце, когда я подъехал к Эдинбургу. 5. Он вел машину на большой скорости, б. Они вышли, когда еще было светло, но черные тучи собирались на горизонте (horizon) и дул холодный северный ветер. 7. Ей было очень труд-I но жить с миссис Грин в одной комнате (share a room), так как та постоянно жаловалась (complain of) на холод и на плохое обслуживание. 8. Она шла по темной улице и оглядывалась, Кто-то следил (follow) за ней. 9. О я выглянул из окна. Много людей стояло около дома» 10. Когда я вошла в комнату, она плакала, 11. Мы катались на лыжах, хотя шел снег. 12. В тот день у нас было много работы, т.к. вечером мы уезжали. 13. Мы познакомились (get acquainted), когда сдавали вступительные (entrance) экзамены. 14. Вчера он был занят, он чинил (fix) телевизор. 15. Он вошел в комнату, поздоровался (greet) со всеми и сел у окна. 16. Она готовилась к экзаменам. 17. Когда часы пробили одиннадцать, он все еще работал. 18. Дождь начался в тот момент, когда она вышла в сад. 19. По вечерам он имел обыкновение читать вслух своему сынишке. 20. Они прекратили ссориться (quarrel), т.к. гости входили в зал.
Open the brackets paying attention to the use of the Past Perfect Tense.
1. He already (go) by the time I (come) to the party. 2. Mother (cook) dinner before he (come). 3. When I (reach) the front door, I realized that I (loose) the key. 4. The shop (close) by the time I (get) there. 5. The scientists (carry) out many experiments before they (achieve) satisfactory results. 6. When I (arrive), he (stay) in the same hotel where we first (meet). 7. By the end of the year he (finish) research. 8. He told me that he (not see) much of her since she (move) to another town. 9. When I (come), he already (come) and (sit) near the fireplace looking through a magazine. 10. She said that they (meet) in 1990 for the first time.
Choose the right variant.
1.1___to the USA so far.
a) have not been
b) had not been
2 I never___them when I lived in London.
a) had met
b) have met
3.1 came at 2 o'clock. He___the work by that time.
a) had done
b) has done
4,1 met her on Monday and___her since.
a) had not seen
b) have not seen
5. She said in a voice she never___about it before.
a) has heard
b) had heard
6. Yes, I know Jim. I___him for more than ten years.
a) have known
b) bad known
7. She tried to concentrate. She ___ John since 1978. No, he could not have done it.
a) has known
b) had known
8. He___ in a bank before he came to our office.
a) had worked
b) has worked
9. We___. there since we were young.
a) have not been
b) had not been
10. Why___the window? It is very noisy in the street.
a) had you opened
b) have you opened
Open the brackets and use the required past tense.
1. It was the poorest room he ever (see). 2. No sooner she (come) at the station than a fast London train (arrive). 3» I (finish) my work by afternoon and (sit) quietly in my armchair, thinking of the days that (pass) by, 4. The storm already (die) away, but very far off the thunder still (mutter). 5.1 already (go) into the bed and (fall asleep) when my mother (knock) at the door and (ask) me to get up. 6. By the time the guests (come), she still (not be ready). 7.1 (not listen)s so I missed what she (say). 8. By 9 o'clock he (finish) work. He (go) outside. The rain (stop) but it (be) rather cool. 9. By the time I (come) the shop already (close), 10. Hardly we (leave) when our bicycle (break) down.
Complete the sentences with the verbs from the box using the Past Perfect Continuous Tense.
1. He___the car for many hours before he came to the crossroads, 2. The pianist ___ the passage hour after hour till he mastered it, 3, When I met her, her eyes were red. She and Mike again____. 4, When I came, they___ this question for more than an hour. 5. It was evening
and he was tired because he___since dawn. 6. He ___ to get her on the phone for 15 minutes before he heard her voice. 7. By 12 o'clock they _____ a composition for two hours. 8. The fire___for some time before a fire brigade came. 9.1___to meet her for ages when I bumped into
her by chance. 10. When I left home, it was raining, and as it___since morning, the streets were muddy.
Open the brackets and use the proper tense.
1. When he (arrive), I (live) in London for a week. 2, We (read) while he (eat). 3. When Jack (phone) me, I (write) a letter, 4. When my friend (come), I (do) an exercise for an hour. 5. The library (close) by the time I (get) there. 6.1 (drive) home when I (hear) the news on the radio. 7. They always (have) loud parties which (go on) till the early hours, 8. We (walk) for some hours before we (realize) that we (lose) our way. 9. No sooner I (complain) that I (not hear) from them for a long time than the letter (come). 10. The concert was a great success. When the pianist (finish) his part, the audience (applaud) the orchestra for some minutes.
Translate into English.
1. Мы посмотрели пьесу до того, как обсудили ее. 2. Мы посмотрели пьесу, а затем обсудили ее. 3. Я был в Лондоне в прошлом году. Раньше я там не бывал. 4. Ему не нравилось письмо, которое он пытался написать уже два часа. Слова казались ему неубедительными (unconvincing). 5. Когда мы пришли, он уже вернулся и что-то писал в своем кабинете (study). 6. Он окончил свою работу в саду и сидел на террасе (terrace). Вечер был теплый, и солнце только что зашло. 7. Она проработала с нами только два месяца, но доказала, что она опытный юрист (lawyer) . 8. Шел очень сильный снег, и я не смог разобрать (make out) номера трамвая. Когда я уже проехал (cover) несколько остановок (tram stops), я понял что ехал в неправильном направлении. 9. Я звонила вам с 4-х часов, но не смогла дозвониться (get): ваша линия была все время занята, 10. Две недели шли дожди: наконец три дня назад установилась (set in) хорошая погода.
Here is the forecast of the life in the 21st century. Complete the sentences with the words from the box.
1. People___ on the moon. 2. Children___school at the age of three. 3. Computers___ teachers. 4 People ___ 4 hours a day. 5. Houses and factories___ solar energy. 6. Americans___a woman president. 7. Robots ___most jobs. 8. There will be a law, which___having more than two children. 9. Six weeks___a normal annual holiday. 10, Great Britain___a black Prime Minister.
Fill in the blanks with shall or will.
1. Tomorrow it _____ be cold and wet. 2. He___ be fifty in June. 3. it's too dark to go. I___call a taxi. 4. ___ I give you a lift? 5. _ you help me with this bag? 6.1 ____, beat you if you do it again 7._____ I close the window? 8.___„ you close the window? 9. There is a car pulling down. — Oh, that___be John. 10.1 doubt if he ____come soon. 11.___ we go on with our work? 12. Don't worry, I___not be late. 13.1 suppose you______ be pretty busy tomorrow.
Open the brackets and use either the Future Indefinite or the Present Continuous Tense.
1. I've bought a typewriter, I (learn) to type. 2. No, I (not eat) meat any more. I am a vegetarian-. 3. What's I wrong? — I've got a flat tyre. — No problem. I (help) you. 4.1 (punish) you if you continue doing it. 5. The forecast says it (rain). 6. You (air) the room? — Certainly-7. Nick» my TV set is again out of order. — O.K. I (fix) it. 8. I suppose he (come). 9. He (help) you if you ask him. 10. What you (do) this evening? 11. He (be) busy tomorrow. He (sendee) his car. 12. Lucy (not go) anywhere this summer. Her son (go) to college. 13. Ann is very angry with him. I am afraid she (not stay) here another minute. 14.1 (give) you another piece of cake? — No, thanks, that (do). 15. You (help) me with this bag? 16.1 (send) the letter? 17.1 am afraid, it (be) difficult for you to stay there so long. 18. Where we (meet)? Victoria Station (be) all right? 19. In the 21st century people (fly) to Mars and other planets. 20.1 (go) to the country for the weekend. — I (go) with you, 21. You (turn down) the radio, please?
Open the brackets and put the Future or the Present Indefinite Tense.
1.1 (accompany) you with pleasure as soon as I (finish) my report. 2. The performance (be) a great success if he (play) the leading role. 3. If this time (be) convenient for you, we (meet) tomorrow. 4. We (not complete) the work this week in case he (get) ill. 5. We (not start) till he (arrive). 6. Provided he (leave) now, he (miss) the rush hour. 7. We (not be able) to carry out the experiment unless he (help) us. 8. You may take my dictionary as long as you (give) it back on Friday. 9. As soon as he (return) from the beach, we (have) dinner. 10.1 (phone) you when she (come). 11. Providing that he (work) hard, he will finish his work on Thursday. 12. She has two keys in her bag in case she (lose) one. 13. Unless he (come), we (not go) to the country. 14. He (remind) you of your promise in case you (forget) it. 15. As soon as the lake (get frozen), she (go skating). 16. When you (turn) on the right, you (see) an old oak. 17. If she (keep) her promise, they (be) rich. 18. Unless you (look) at the picture at some distance, you (not see) the details. 19. Providing that nothing (happen), I (return) in two weeks. 20. If the wind (blow) from the west, it (rain). 21. If you (get) there before me, wait till I (come). 22. Provided all (go) well, I (graduate) in June. 23. He (not go) for a walk until he (do) his lessons. 24. He (not catch) the train unless he (leave) immediately. 25. We (not wait) till he (make up his mind).
Open the brackets and use the proper tense, either the Future or the Present Indefinite paying attention to when and if.
1. Well go swimming if it (be) a nice day tomorrow. 2,1 wonder if it (rain) tomorrow. 3. You'll get wet if you (not take) an umbrella. 4.1 don't know when he (come back), 5.1 doubt if he (join) us. He is very busy. 6. She will serve the table when he (come). 7. I'll be grateful to you if you (lend) me this sum of money. 8.1 am not sure if he (follow) my advice. 9,1 wonder if I (solve) this problem without anybody's help. 10. He supposes that they will buy the house if it (be) in good condition, 11.1 am sure that when he (come) he will apologize for his rudeness. 12.1 wonder if you (invite) the Browns if they (be) here on Sunday? 13. It's hard to say if she (find out) everything. 14,1 don't know when she (go) to see them. 15. We will discuss the terms of the contract when he (come), 16.1 will not deal with him if he (be) so stubborn!
Choose the right variant.
1, He___here till he___everything.
a) will stay, doesn't do
b) will stay, does
c) stays? will do
d) stays, will not do
2. In case the weather___good, they___fishing.
a) will be, will go
b) is, go
c) will be, go
d) is, will go
3. Unless he___, we___to the theatre.
a) doesn't come, won't go
b) comes, won't go
c) won't come, don't go
d) doesn't come, don't go
4.1 can't decide if I___you till I___when they___.
a) will join, will know, will leave
b) will join, know, will leave
c) join, will know, leave
d) join, will know, will leave
5. I___you the keys to the car as long as you___the speed.
a) will give, won't exceed
b) give, won't exceed
c) will give, don't exceed
d) give, don't exceed
6.1 don't know if they___new people. If they___I___you of it.
a) will hire, will, will inform
b) hire5 do, inform
c) hiie, will, will inform
d) will hire, do, will inform.
7.1___ anywhere till my son___all his exams.
a) won't go, doesn't take
b) don't go doesn't take
c) won't go, takes
d) won't go, will take
8, If she___and we___at home, ask her when she ___the magazine.
a) phones, are not, will bring
b) will phone, will not be, will bring
c) phones, will not be, brings
d) will phone, will not be, brings
9.1___the article when I___home and___you upwhen it___ready.
a) will translate, will come, will ring, will be
b) will translate, come, will ring, is
c) will translate, will come, ring, will be
d) translate, will come, ring, is
10. He___me the book providing I___it not later than Saturday.
a) will give, will return
b) give, return
c) will give, return
d) give, will return
Translate into English.
1. Они будут смотреть фильм, как только дети лягут спать. 2, Как только он придет, я ему все расскажу. 3. Я с ним поговорю до твоего приезда, но я не уверен, последует ли он моим советам. 4. Я буду вам очень благодарен (grateful), если вы продиктуете (dictate) мне зту статью. 5. С вашей стороны будет очень глупо, если вы не воспользуетесь данной возможностью. 6, Поезд прибывает через час. Если вы поедете на машине, вы встретите ее. 7. Как только вы его увидите, спросите его, когда он уезжает и зайдет ли он к нам перед отъездом. 8. Спросите их, не дадут ли они мне пылесос (vacuum cleaner), если мне нужно будет почистить ковер. 9. Вот вам мой адрес на тот случай, если вы решите приехать в Москву. 10. Мне отправить письмо? — Да. Когда вы пойдете домой, бросьте его в почтовый ящик (mailbox). 11. Я уверен, вы полюбите ее, как только она начнет работать с вами, 12. Мы детально (in detail) обсудим этот вопрос до того, как он придет. 13. Если он не получит книгу в воскресенье, он не сможет подготовиться к докладу. 14. Я с ним поговорю, когда он придет, но я не знаю, придет ли он сегодня. 15. Я не знаю, когда я получу от нее ответ, но как только я его получу, я сразу же вам позвоню.
Put the verbs into the Future Continuous Tense making all necessary changes.
Example: At 6 o'clock in the morning he always sleeps. — He will be sleeping at 6 o'clock in the morning tomorrow.
1. It is 5 o'clock. She is having a music lesson. 2. He is working in the garden now. 3. It is eleven o'clock. Ben is lying on the beach. 4. It's 10 o'clock. Nick and Tom are playing tennis. 5. It's dinnertime. We're standing in the queue to enter the Canteen. 6. She is out. She always goes shopping during the break. 7. It's eight o'clock. He is speaking with his partner on the telephone. 8. Granny is cooking supper, 9. His little sister is eating porridge this morning. 10. It's no use inviting Tom for a walk. He is watching a football match.
Open the brackets and use either the Future Indefinite or the Future Continuous Tense.