Marketing Methods and Advertising
Before selling the goods, you must do a lot of market research first. The information needed can In-obtained from consulates and trade representations, from Russia Chamber of Commerce Industry and from the different institutes for Scientific Market Research, from trade associations and trade journals or from specialized consultant companies (who will do a professional market research job for you and for your fee).
The information you are interested in is if there is any goods, what the market potential is, what sort of competition you will meet, i.e. how the price of your goods compares with other competitive products including those produced locally, local conditions and preferences, local trading customs and habits, what seasonal factors should be taken into account and the like.
But in general marketing covers not only market research, but also planning the selection (assortment) of goods, and consequently the production itself, price policy, advertising and promotion of sales and post-sales servicing. So marketing is a system of running all the business activities of a company (organization) in respect of coordinating supply and demand for goods produced. Originally marketing was meant to help avoid overproduction in advanced capitalist countries.
Marketing may as well enable to coordinate production and goods circulation (consumption of goods) for the purpose of using all the resources for the benefit of people and for covering in the best possible way all their needs (requirements).
Advertising is an important means of promoting the goods that are being produced already as well as new lines in business.
There arc specialized firms dealing with advertising. Different kinds of mass media-T.V., radio, newspapers, cinema, journals, magazines, and posters are used for advertising goods. Special leaflets and other printed matter about the goods may be published for the same purpose. Participation in fairs and exhibition helps promote our goods as well. Also, special advertisement conferences may be held. The choice of media for advertising depends on the kind of goods and on the local conditions and people's habits: sometimes T.V. and radio ads are best, in other сases it may be trade journals or leaflets distributed among potential buyers.
Задание 2. Ответьте на вопросы к тексту (на английском языке). Переведите ответы на русский язык.
1. What must you do before selling the goods?
2. What does market research mean?
3. Where can we obtain the information about goods and services?
4. What is the purpose of advertising?
5. How may the goods be advertised?
6. What does the choice of media for advertising depend on?
Задание 3. Задайте вопрос, начиная с данного в скобках вопросительного слова.
1. Before selling the goods, you must do a lot of market research first. (When)
2. Marketing covers not only market research. (What)
3. There are specialized firms dealing with advertising. (What kind)
4. Promoting of goods is widely used in fairs and exhibitions. (Where)
5. The choice of media for advertising depends on the kind of goods.(What…..on)
Задание 4. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на модальные глаголы и их эквиваленты.
1. Our company had to do a lot of marketing research before selling the goods.
2. We will be allowed to coordinate production due to marketing policy.
3. We could participate in the specialized fair last year.
4. The contract is to be signed tomorrow at 9 a.m.
5. You should be very careful making decision on the problem.
Задание 5. Переведите на английский язык следующие предложения.
1. Как часто вы проводите маркетинговые исследования?
2. В прошлом месяце мы получили всю необходимую информацию о фирмах конкурентах.
3. Наш директор уже нашел хорошего рекламного агента.
4. Завтра в 3 часа дня я встречаюсь с рекламным агентом.
5. В этом году мы напечатали 10 рекламных буклетов с описанием нашей продукции.
6. На будущий год их фирма намеревается потратить 50.000 рублей на маркетинговые исследования.
7. Мы включаем в себестоимость товара все расходы по рекламе.
8. К концу следующего месяца мы уже будем знать показатель эффективности проведенной рекламной кампании.
9. Что вы будете делать для проведения успешной рекламной кампании?
Задание 6. Преобразуйте предложения из активного залога в пассивный, взяв за подлежащее подчёркнутое слово (слова).
1. A company holds a lot of marketing research before selling the goods.
2. The marketing manager got all necessary information for the launching of the new product.
3. The personnel manager will meet with the advertising agent tomorrow.
4. The heads of the departments are discussing the new product in the conference hall now.
5. Our company has published over than one thousand leaflets this year.
*Контрольная работа №5
Задание 1. Прочитайте текст, затем письменно переведите его на русский язык.
Today the British banking is a complicated tripartite system like a three- layer cake. The system is headed by the Bank of England.
This bank was established under a royal charter in 1694. The head of the Bank is Governor of the Bank appointed by the Queen in the recommendation of the Prime Minister. The Queen also appoints Deputy Governor and the Court of Directors, which consists of 16 directors.
The Bank of England is a central bank or a national bank. It controls the British banking system, issues banknotes and mints coins. It lends and borrows money for the government, manages the national debt and is in the control of the nation's gold reserve. The other two layers are:
· The commercial or joint stock clearing banks;
· Specialized banking institutions such as the discount houses and merchant banks.
The commercial or joint- stock banks deal with the general public. The four large English commercial banks are known as the Big Four. They are Barclays, Lloyds, Midlands and the National Westminster. Together they have upwards of 10000 branches. Commercial banks render various services to companies and individuals. Some if the services are:
• To receive or accept from their customers the deposit of money;
• To collect and transfer money both at home and abroad against deposit and current accounts;
• To provide overdrafts to both personal and business customers;
• To lend loans to their customers;
• To exchange money;
• To supply economic information and to prepare economic reviews to be published;
• To make foreign exchange transactions, including spot transaction, forward transaction and swap transaction;
• To issue various banker's cards.
Lombard Street is the symbol of British banking. This is the place where the first bankers coming from Italy settled.
Задание 2. Найдите в тексте английские эквиваленты для русских терминов.
· совет директоров;
· государственный долг;
· золотой резерв;
· денежный вклад;
· давать взаймы;
· брать взаймы;
· сделки по обмену иностранной валюты;
· эмиссия (выпуск).
Задание 3. Прочитайте следующие утверждения и решите, верны они или нет (пометьте в скобках «+» или «-»).
1. The head of the Bank is Governor of the Bank appointed by the Prime Minister.
2. The Bank of England is a central bank.
3. The Bank of England does not control the nation's gold reserve.
4. Commercial banks provide overdrafts only for personal customers.
5. Commercial banks do not issue various banker's cards.
Задание 4. Задайте специальные вопросы к следующим предложениям, обращая внимание на образование пассивного залога.
1. The British banking system is headed by the Bank of England.
2. The bank was established in 1694.
3. The head of the bank is appointed by the Queen.
4. Personal and business customers are provided with overdrafts.