Task 1. Read and translate the text. The world economy is increasingly becoming a single economic unit
The world economy is increasingly becoming a single economic unit. Individual national economies are developing closer ties through trade, capital investment and financial institutions. The role of global business in world affairs is becoming more important. Multinational corporations spread their activities across national boundaries, the international banking system carries on banking activities throughout the world, financial and commodity markets have become world markets.
Over the last few decades export and import shares of output have increased considerably in practically all industrial sectors. For most industrial nations, exports and imports remain the most important international activity. In addition to visible trade, which involves the import and export of goods, they are trying to develop invisible trade, which involves the exchange of services between nations, thus improving their balances of trade.
As the world is developing a single economy, international organizations, including the World Trade Organisation, the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank Group, are contributing to the liberalization of trade, monetary and economic cooperation. They have had a positive effect on economic growth, price stability and the flow of capital.
Nevertheless, serious economic and social challenges remain:
- how to bridge the gap between the industrialized and developing world;
- how to prevent inflation;
- how to improve employment opportunities:
- how to maintain economic growth;
- how to put an end to poverty.
Task 2. Answer the following questions
1. What trend in the development of the world economy has been observed lately.
2. How is global business developing?
3. Do export and import of goods remain the most important activity for many countries?
4. What is invisible trade?
5. What role do international organizations play in the modern world economy?
6. What world problems have to be solved?
Task 3. Practise these words and word combinations.
Translate into Russian
1) Britain’s share of world trade has declined.
2) She owns shares in the business.
3) We will all have a share in the profits.
4) Share prices rose yesterday.
1) My studies at university involve a great deal of hard work.
2) The students of our college are involved in the decision-making process, which gives them valuable experience for their future work.
3) Buying shares involves some risk.
4) His job involves collecting statistics.
5) I’m involved in an interesting project now.
Task 4. Bear out (подтвердите) the following statements using the information from the text.
1. The world economy is increasingly becoming a single economic unit.
2. Over the last few decades export and import shares of output have increased considerably in practically all industrial sectors.
3. Nevertheless, serious economic and social challenges remain.
|Text 2. The Nation’s Economy|