Exercise 1. Choose the necessary word and put it in the sentence
1. Though market research tries to predict, |adaptation
the trends, there is no sure ... |
2. This product isn't original, it is an... |2 innovation
3. ... office receives applications from |
many young inventors. |3 inadequate
4. If the price is..., the product won't be |
sold out. |4 patent
5. A clock-television is an adaptation but |
the television itself is an ... |5 failure
6. If a sure ... is stopped, money and time |
can be saved. |6 success
7. They failed because of... promotion |
campaign. |7 unreasonable
( Dick and Jack are having lunch. Dick is Vice President in charge of Product Development. And Jack is Vice President in charge of the Legal Department).
Dick How are the things?
Jack Great. We are busy with a new line of clock-television.
Dick Sounds interesting. Are you going to apply for a patent soon?
Jack Yes, we arc. We are preparing the necessary paper now.
DickAnd what did the Market Research say by the way
JackThey think. there is fair market for the product at the moment but it will take a few years to catch on
Dick I see. We'll have to turn a good promotional campaign.
Dick Well, it will be our advantage to have the patent on it is well. You have decided on the size, haven't you?
JackWe'll start with a small screen model. It will have wake-up button and go-to-sleep button with time Market Research says that the automatic go-to-sleep button may be the bigger selling point.
Dick Yes. The idea of a set that turns itself off is great To tell you the truth I'm always falling asleep in the middle of the show. Now it can be done.
Jack Well. In future we'll probably expand the line to inolude different size screens and colour.
Dick That's good.
Jack I think we are close to a big success.
Dick That is why we must be very careful. Before we begin to market television we must fulfil the mos. complete testing.
Jack You are right.
Dick What about the pricing? Has it been worked out?
Jack Not completely. Market Research Department says we can't have too high price on this kind of item.
Dick It's evident we must be very careful. Maybe this time consumers will really surprise us.
Jack Let's hope for the best.
1o apply for a patent подать заявление на патент
fair market (зд.)благоприятные рыночные условия
to catch on стать модным
to be a big selling point быть притягательным для покупателей
to fulfil the testing завершить исследование
to market продавать
Exercise 1. Change the sentences according to the model.
Model: We must fulfil complete testing.
Complete testing must be fulfilled.
1. They must expand the line.
2. You could apply for a patent.
3. They should work out the details. 4.1 must develop a new trend.
5. We should design a line of clock-television.
6. You should start market research.
Exercise 2. Answer the questions.
1. Why is it so important for a producer to apply for a patent?
2. How much time does it usually take for a new product to catch on?
3. What is a big selling point of the items which you produce?
4. In what way can a consumer surprise the producer?
5. Would you like to produce something original or an adaptation? Explain why.
6. What are the conditions of successful product development?
7. What products are the market conditions fair for in this country?
Exercise 3. Translate into English.
1. Этот продукт - модификация старого.
2. Мелкие производители выпускают большое количество товаров.
3. Вам необходимо получить патент на производство данного товара.
4. Тщательное исследование рынка необходимо, чтобы гарантировать успех.
5. Потребуется пять лет на то, чтобы ваш продукт завоевал признание.
6. Отключающее устройство с таймером - именно то, что привлечет потребителя.
7. Надо завершить все исследования, прежде чем мы начнем продавать наш продукт.
8. Нам необходимо расширить линию.
Exercise 4. Speak about product development of your business. Ask your collogue how he would plan product development.
Exercise 1. Make the sentences negative.
Model: 1 will have the drawings prepared very soon. 1 won't have the drawings prepared very soon.
1. It will take much time to catch on.
2. I am sure this thing will be the biggest selling point.
3. They will run a good advertising company.
4. They will make a new modification of electronic watch.
5. This price will be inadequate.
Exercise 2. Put four- questions of different types to each sentence (genial, special, alternative, disjunctive).
Model: They will influence the consumer to buy their automobiles.
1 .Will they' influence the consumer to buy their automobiles?
2. Who will influence the consumer to buy their automobiles?
3. They will influence the consumer to buy their automobiles, won't they?
4. Will they influence the consumer to buy their automobiles or other goods?
1. Their products will be available in every shop.
2. The company will start their promotion campaign ve .soon.
3. Our bank will make a loan to this corporation.
4. They will need a lawyer to form their business.
5. I will consult my partner.
Marketing includes all the business activities connected with the movement of goods and services from producers to consumers. Sometimes it is called distribution. On the one hand, marketing is made up of such activities as transporting, storing and selling goods and, on the other hand, a series of decisions you make during the process of moving goods from producer to user. Marketing operations include product planning, buying, storage, pricing, promotion, selling, credit, traffic and marketing research.
The ability to recognize early trends is very important. Producers must know why, where, for want purpose the consumers buy. Market research helps the producer to predict what the people will want. And through advertising he attempts to influence the customer to buy. Marketing operations are very expensive. They take up more than half of the consumer's dollar. The trend in the USA has been to high mass consumption. The construction of good shopping center has made goods available to consumers. It provided a wide range of merchandise and plenty of parking facilities.
Distribution сбыт, распределение
Marketing продажа, сбыт, маркетинг
Storing складирование, хранение
product planning разработка новых продуктов
pricing калькуляция цен
promotion содействие в продаже (какого-либо товара), например, с помощью рекламы
marketing research изучение рынка сбыта
trend тенденция, общее направление
to predict предсказывать
to influence влиять